Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th December 2009, 12:02 AM
KaiTheory Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
What exactly happens when I plug in my Creative Zen digitial music player to USB?

Hi all,

Can someone explain what Fedora is doing when I plug in my digital music player? The reason I ask is because I noticed a few things upon plugging in my device and trying to use Gnomad2 to detect/upload music. Firstly I should note that I have all the necessary rpms. This is more of a "what's going on inside the black box" question.

Issuing "lsusb" shows my Creative Zen device but is Fedora mounting it anywhere? I'm inclined to say no because issuing "mount" shows nothing resembling the device. If a usb device is "detected" and shows up with a lsusb command what is the system doing with it?

If I have Rhythmbox running and plug in the device, it docks with Rythmbox right away. If docked with Rythmbox, Gnomad2 will claim it doesn't detect the device. When I tell Rythmbox to eject the device then Gnomad2 will see it again.

I was having Gnomad2 delete music from the device, but it crashed after I had it delete a large number of songs so I killed it from the terminal. When I started it back up again it claimed it couldn't see any devices. lsusb, of course, showed the device in the list.

If I had a better idea of how the software and hardware play with each other I might have a better shot at troubleshooting this annoying problem. (A reboot of the computer always fixes it - WHY!?)

Cheers,
KaiTheory
Old 24th December 2009, 03:07 AM
beaker_ Offline

unknownunknown
I think your atleast 1/2 right. My GF noticed here zen appears in nautilus (gnome file manager) as though mtpfs was added to F12. I haven't dug into because it's never interfered with amarok but have a look anyway.

Tags
creative, digitial, music, player, plug, usb, zen