Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:29 PM
thesun Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Creative ways to find a "lost" file?

Okay, for several weeks now I have been looking for a particular file, probably (but not certain) a jpg, that I used for the label of a cd that I made in 2005. Since then I have migrated through numerous Fedora versions and from hard disk to hard disk, and now I have almost no recollection of what the filename is. In addition, there's a chance that some file data might have been lost when I copied from hard disk to hard disk. The file might even have been deleted (though I kind of doubt it).

Can anyone suggest good ways to find it? I want to ideally find the exact same image because I'm trying to do a few more copies of the cd, and I think I used (gack) Windows labelmaker software when I did it back in 2005. Now I'm trying to redo it in Linux only. But I feel lame if I have to end up using a different image for the cd than the one I used before.

I've found some of the songs I was working on at that time, liner notes, etc., and I've looked through folders with files I thought were done at similar times, etc., etc., but short of running "find / -name '*.jpg'" and looking through each and every file I am wondering if there are other ways to locate it.

Anyone have ideas?
Old 2nd January 2010, 07:16 PM
aesir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
With digikam you can draw a sketch of the image you are looking and it will show you a list of similar images.
Watch the first video at http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/321.

Good Luck

Tags
creative, file, lost, ways