Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th January 2010, 11:59 AM
fedora12user Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Arrow Best Broadband Usage Meter for Fedora

Hello,
Does anyone one know of a free broadband usage meter for linux which will record the amount of uploads and downloads on the netwrok and alert you when the limit has reached? I was using TB meter on windows Vista.

Thanks Again.
Old 14th January 2010, 12:19 PM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
There is a Net Usage add on for Firefox, designed for Australia but can be configured for other isps. See http://netusage.iau5.com/
Old 14th January 2010, 01:22 PM
trigpoint Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I just log into my ISP's portal and check occasionally My router also keeps a track of usage, but I am not methodical enough to reset it on the right day.

It does sound a very difficult thing to implement and use on anything but the simplest system and simplest usage pattern.

In my case, I have 2 PCs. A laptop (F12) and a desktop (F12/Windows), I would have to keep these inline somehow. And there is the wii and my mobile phone which uses some of my bandwith. Sometimes I use my laptop elsewhere and log into hotel or use other wifi, I would have to exclude those and then there are the times I connect to mobile broadband. Then there are the distros I download and try......

The wii has the iPlayer channel, so the bandwidth that uses can be significant.

I have a 20GB per month limit (8am - midnight), before I get slowed to dialup, have never hit it. I do try to keep big downloads to the un-metered period between midnight and 8am. I have a regular wake-on-lan setup on my dd-wrt router and a cron on the F12 desktop which does its updates and any dowloads I have put in whilst I am asleep.
Old 14th January 2010, 09:34 PM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The Net Usage add on I mentioned uses a service provided by the isps so will obviously only work where that is available. It is common in Australia and some other places where download limits are the norm. It can be a bit slow to update, an isp problem not a software issue. Mine currently shows the figure as at about 12 hours ago. Not a problem unless it is getting close to the limit.

Tags
broadband, fedora, meter, usage