Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2010, 04:39 PM
Emilp Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
projector with vga-to-dvi converter

Hi,

I've just received a new laptop which is a Sager NP8690. Installed Fedora 11, updates, and the latest official Nvidia driver that always worked on my previous machines. This laptop has a Geforce 280M and the output to a second monitor is a DVI connector. I use projectors on every day basis for teaching and all have vga (input) cables. So I had to use one of those converters to plug them into the laptop. I press the usual hotkey and both screens go black. The projector flickers like it tries to pick up the signal but nothing more. I have to unplug and by pressing the hotkey bring back my laptop screen. In the Nvidia panel it shows up like I have three screens and refuses twin view. I managed to try a projector that had DVI input and tried that with a DVI-DVI cable.. everything worked perfectly and shows up correctly inside the Nvidia settings panel.
So question is.. what do I need to do differently when using vga to dvi converter at the end of the cable?

Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 07:37 AM
Emilp Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I managed to get hold of another converter this one works in one way which means I have picture on the projector but the laptop screen is black.
I also tried this same laptop with winxp and worked perfectly with all converters.
So now I'm really confused. Obviously there is some signal lost when it's converted but how is it possible that only fedora doesn't work and windows does?
Old 30th January 2010, 03:33 AM
Emilp Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Someone told me there is an option I probably need to insert into the xorg.conf that will tell my video card to output analog signal on the dvi port because it doesn't recognize there is an analog device. Not sure if there is an option like that.
Old 30th January 2010, 04:56 AM
GoinEasy9 Online

linuxfedorafirefox
This may or may not help, but, if you go into Applications-->System Tools-->Nvidia Display settings and can set up the devices, when you go into Save Configuration it will ask if you want to see a preview. If you click on preview, it shows what it thinks xorg.conf should look like. You might be able to get the info you need there.
While I haven't tried your particular situation, it has given me some interesting results with other setups.

Good Luck.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE

Tags
converter, projector, vgatodvi