Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st February 2010, 07:13 PM
myjess Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
DNS on my router but unable to ping by name on my network.

The NetworkManager applet on my desktop states that my router is 192.168.2.1 and that my first DNS server is 192.168.2.1, but I cannot ping any hosts on my network using by name. All my other computers are windows so the naming is netbios naming, but I don't know if that makes any difference to DNS.
I take it that because the other computers are windows that I need a wins client or something on my Fedora laptop.

I would rather not fill out my hosts file because the IP addresses of the windows boxes may change.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks.
Old 1st February 2010, 08:51 PM
FSLLL Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I had a similar problem over a VPN I could connect and ping using the IP address but not the host name. It was a problem with the firewall. I can't remember what it was I had to allow.

Try turning off the firewall and if you can connect and ping by host name. then it's just one of the settings. I'm not on the computer with Fedora on at the moment but I'll check it later.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:16 PM
jonshouse Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Dns

Netbios names and DNS names have nothing in common at all. Windows uses netbios names for generating network browse lists, for other operations its uses DNS. Linux uses DNS only.

If you want local and wide area network names then you need a masqurading DNS server (dnsmasq is a good one).

Tags
dns, network, ping, router, unable