Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th February 2010, 01:55 PM
dkalna Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
mount.cifs after update not working

hi there,

- my windows shares were working fine, since there was aktualization they don't any more
- i have Fedora 12
- my /sbin/mount.cifs und /sbin/umount.cifs have 777 permissions

when I execute my mount with normal user:

/sbin/mount.cifs //sdvbdta01/KADA/ /home/kada/dvb-shares/persoenlich -o user=kada,dom=dvbern,pass=$PASSWD

I get this error:

/sbin/mount.cifs: permission denied: no match for /home/kada/dvb-shares/persoenlich found in /etc/fstab

When I execute that mount with root then it works, but I can't edit documents on that share with normal user

Any ideas what am I doing wrong? Thanks a lot.
Dalibor
Old 11th February 2010, 05:30 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfedorafirefox
The most recent update to samba-client, which provides the files mount.cifs and umount.cifs crippled the ability of those two commands to be run as a regular user, either by changing permissions or using set userID. Refer to this thread for a bit more information about this.

At least one user in that thread downgraded a couple of the samba packages to the previous version in order for his scripts (run as regular user) to continue to work to "mount.cifs" windows shares. I also have a script that I run as a regular user that calls "mount.cifs", which no longer worked after the update.

My solution was not to downgrade the samba packages, but to download the previous version of samba-client, extract the rpm package using rpmdev-extract into a folder in my home directory and then copy mount.cifs and umount.cifs from there into /usr/local/bin/, changing both to set userID (chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/mount.cifs), and edit my script to call /usr/local/bin/mount.cifs instead of /sbin/mount.cifs..

Last edited by PabloTwo; 11th February 2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:27 AM
dkalna Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks man, you are my hero, it works again!

Tags
mountcifs, update, working