Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:40 AM
dokhebi Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Angry system-config-display creates incorrect xorg.conf

Now that I have system-config-display installed I tried to create a new xorg.conf so I can have 3D acceleration, etc using the correct driver... But the xorg.conf file generated does not work. It locks up the laptop (Toshiba Satellite A45-S250). I don't understand why this happens because the Fedora 12 Live CD (for i686) works find on boot.

I tried looking for the xorg.conf file after booting the live CD but it doesn't exist. I don't understand what is happening here. Also, when I used an older version of Fedora (8 I think) the X driver was i810 which worked fine. It gave me all the 3D acceleration, etc. When I installed F11 it gave me a dumbed down install using the VESA driver.

What happened to the i810 driver? Why does the intel driver not work? Why does the Live CD work great but an installed system not?

Necessary info:

Toshiba Satellite A45-S250
Fedora 12 (preupgraded from F11)

TIA,

Edward Hooper
Old 3rd March 2010, 04:13 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
> Xorg is now "smart" enough to not need a config file (or so we are told).
> Older xorg.conf files may not work due to changes.
> system-config-display is deprecated.
> New kernel modesetting feature is incomplete.

Try: move your xorg.conf file out of the way, and re-boot with kernel option nomodeset.

V

P.S. Since this is an "in-place" upgrade from an older Fedora release, you may also want to investigate for "stale" packages (< *.fc12.*), and see if there are F12 equivalents for any found. There may not be 100% compatibility between F11 => F12.

Tags
i810, intel, toshiba laptop, xorg.conf