Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2010, 06:05 PM
bingoUV Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Alpha: no option to create custom disk partition layout?

I am installing Fedora 13 Alpha - 64 bit. While installation, X server could not be started so installing in command line - not a problem.

But here, in command line installation, I don't see any option to create custom disk partition layout. It only asks me about using entire disk / free space. Also asks about which hard disks to involve in installation process. But after that, it simply goes and creates LVM with ext4 - FSM knows how many partitions.

I wanted to try out btrfs, but I don't see any way to override the default partition / filesystem decisions by the installer. Is this a well known issue?

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM CDT ----------

Filed a bug for this issue: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=579106
Old 2nd April 2010, 06:09 PM
CiaW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Alpha: no option to create custom disk partition layout?

Apparently, you need to be able to do a gui install to get the option for custom partitioning. Do you have a low RAM computer? I would suspect not if you're trying to install the x86_64 version. What graphics does your machine have?

Update: I looked at the bugzilla (and added myself to the cc list); I didn't realize this behavior was a regression. I thought it was a 'feature'.

Last edited by CiaW; 2nd April 2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: update
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:14 PM
bingoUV Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My machine has VirtualBox graphics

I was trying out Fedora 13 in VirtualBox. Possibly because of this issue( http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6370 ), X does not run, even after installation. I was dropped to text mode installer.

I remember from long ago, text mode installer used to be quite rich in features. Maybe these days you need graphical installer to do such things, not sure.
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:51 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

Yes, the textmode installer has been pretty much crippled. The answer given is that you can use kickstart--or use just about any other distribution, almost all of which allow you to custom partition during a text installation. (Of course, all the other ones that have a GUI installer that I've used in VBox have a GUI installer that works in VBox. If I were a sarcastic person, I would comment that perhaps this is one more way in which Fedora stands out from the rest.)
Old 6th April 2010, 09:11 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

The fact that GUI install fails in VirtualBox ought to be fixed for Beta, let us know if it isn't.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 7th April 2010, 08:57 AM
bingoUV Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
The fact that GUI install fails in VirtualBox ought to be fixed for Beta, let us know if it isn't.
GUI install in Virtualbox is working in RC4. I tested in http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.or...eta-i686-Live/
Old 7th April 2010, 05:53 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for the report.
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
alpha, create, custom, disk, layout, option, partition