Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2010, 01:29 AM
Akanikoto Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
ISO files won't work

Ah, I feel like I've spent all day on here, haha. Anyway, I downloaded some .iso files recently, and don't really know what to do with them. Unless I'm mistaken, I should burn them onto a CD, and then be able to mount them and get the program to run, but that doesn't seem to be working. All it does when I put the disk in is open the folders showing all the files. Am I completely off base with what I'm doing, or is there just a step I'm missing or something?
Old 19th May 2010, 01:39 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: ISO files won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanikoto

Unless I'm mistaken, I should burn them onto a CD, and then be able to mount them and get the program to run, but that doesn't seem to be working.
Hello Akanikoto,

Fedora ISO files? What should happen after you burn the ISO to disk as an image project (or whatever your software calls it) is that it will boot the computer and launch the Fedora installer. One very common error is to burn the ISO file itself as a data file (you see only the ISO on the disk). Another one is to unpack the ISO file and copy the files over to a CD (it looks okay, but will not boot).

See if this helps any...
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme...sos/en-US.html

Last edited by stoat; 19th May 2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:44 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanikoto View Post
Ah, I feel like I've spent all day on here, haha. Anyway, I downloaded some .iso files recently, and don't really know what to do with them. Unless I'm mistaken, I should burn them onto a CD, and then be able to mount them and get the program to run, but that doesn't seem to be working. All it does when I put the disk in is open the folders showing all the files. Am I completely off base with what I'm doing, or is there just a step I'm missing or something?
Hello:
In addition to or with Stoat's recommendations read through the official instructions, they may help you out.
https://fedoraproject.org/en/verify
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme...al_Environment

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 19th May 2010, 02:06 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

One thing that is sometimes unclear to newcomers is that one doesn't just do a straight copy of an iso to a disk. You have to burn it, in Windows there are various tools, such as Nero, and you have to be sure choose something different than copy. (I forget what, I haven't used Windows burning tools in years.) In Linux, there are various graphic and CLI (command line interface) tools to do it as well. But don't do something like cp whatever.iso /dev/scd0. That will give you a CD with an unusable iso file.
Old 19th May 2010, 02:16 AM
Akanikoto Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Probably should've specified that they aren't Fedora install ISOs; they're for Rosetta Stone's Japanese course.

And I did just copy them straight onto the disk. How would I properly burn them?
Old 19th May 2010, 02:18 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera

You have to "burn IMAGE" to disk. Look for "burn image" as an option in your CD/DVD burning software.
Old 19th May 2010, 02:47 AM
Akanikoto Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

That just did the same thing. Put in the disk, and it just gives me a bunch of folders with unusable files. :/
Old 19th May 2010, 02:51 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Are you in Linux or Windows?

If Linux, which burning program do you use?
There is always the command line.

cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom myfile.iso

(Substitute /dev/cdrom with whatever your cd burning device is and of course, myfile.iso with the name of the iso).

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM CDT ----------

Make sure the disk has what you want.

mount -o loop whatever.iso /mnt

ls /mnt

See what's in there.
Old 19th May 2010, 03:03 AM
Akanikoto Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Linux, Brasero Disk Burner, and the command line mounting gave me this:

Old 19th May 2010, 03:52 AM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You almost had it right:

mount -o loop <pathto>/Japanese_1.iso /mnt

- you need the full path to the iso, and a space between the file and where to
mount it (/mnt).

But even so - I don't think Rosetta software will work on linux, though wine may
help.
Old 19th May 2010, 04:00 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Makes me wonder if this is really an iso

Please run

file Japanese_1.iso (or whatever the name was)

Did you only have one rar file? Usually rars are in a collection of several. Did you run rar e whatever.rar and did it run without any error messages?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM CDT ----------

Grr, I missed the fact that they weren't in the right directory again. You've really GOT to pay attention to that. If you get the message no such file or directory, it means you're in the wrong place.

Thanks jpollard, I'm too tired. Going to sleep now.

Oyasumiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Oh, one more thing--is this a an exe file? After doing the mount and the listing of it, we'll have a better idea. It may be a Windows or Windows/Apple only thing.

Not familiar with it, I learned Japanese the old fashioned way, before all this new fangled computer stuff. (Here in NY, where there is a very large Japanese population, some weekends, I only spoke English, ironically enough, at a karate doujou.)

Tags
files, iso, work