Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th June 2010, 11:27 PM
Marc001 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Grub Boot Loader Doesn't Work for Fedora Core 12 and WinXP

I have an HP Pavilion m7480n PC with Windows XP installed on the C-drive. I successfully installed FC 12 onto the spare USB drive. When I rebooted the PC all I got was a blinking underscore at the extreme upper left position of a totally black screen. After a bit of experimenting I found that if I hit the F1 key during the boot process, go into the BIOS setup, do nothing within the setup, and press ESC to get out of the setup then the PC will go back into the boot cycle a second time. During the second time however a small text message appears with words to the effect "Press any key to enter GRUB..." after which the GRUB splash screen comes up with the choice for FC 12 or "Other" (referring to Win XP). At that point I can boot into either one. Has anyone encountered this phenomena and does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks!
Old 7th June 2010, 11:30 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Grub Boot Loader Doesn't Work for Fedora Core 12 and WinXP

This is a guess, but if you installed grub to the USB drive, you may need to change the bios boot order.

dd_wizard
Old 13th July 2010, 01:47 PM
Marc001 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

I have found what the problem is along with a working solution. This particular problem occurs with the HP Pavilion series of PC's. If you subscribe to "HP Updates" one of the updates has the words "Intel RAID controller..." in the title. When you apply this update it fixes the problem (basically). I say "basically" because when you boot you still get the blinking cursor, but now if you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete the PC will boot into GRUB. It's not a perfect solution, but it works for me.
Old 13th July 2010, 01:53 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Good. But are you using RAID? Since you never mentioned it, I thought maybe not. It might be interesting to try booting with that disabled in BIOS.
Old 13th July 2010, 02:34 PM
Marc001 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

That's a good point. I don't use RAID which is why I initially ignored the update, but apparently the HP Pavilion does have a RAID controller. I am tempted to disable RAID in the BIOS, but could the RAID controller be used in controlling multiple USB drives? Recall, that one of those drives has the Fedora OS on it. It probably wouldn't hurt to experiment by disabling RAID in the BIOS. If it doesn't work just re-enable it.

Tags
boot, core, fedora, grub, loader, winxp, work