Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 28th August 2010, 06:59 PM
zentio Offline

linuxchrome
Fedora requires root password when accessing second windows hard disk

I have a second hard disk which has windows and C and D drives partitions. When I boot fedora 13, fedora automatically mounts them as 53 Gb Filessytem and 200 GB Filessytem. But when i try to browse to these filesystem, fedora ask me root password. How I can configure fedora so that it does not ask me root password and this change should be permanent ( surving computer shutdown and restart) ? I want these windows partitions to be reachable by me as the non-root user.

Also given /dev/sdb (the windows disk) what is the command line to find out the filesytem path to which various paritions on /dev/sdb are mapped to?
Old 28th August 2010, 08:12 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora requires root password when accessing second windows hard disk

Your windows partitions are probably owned by root. To change that, make yourself root in a terminal with sudo or su -, and assuming the partitions are mounted under /media, use this command to change ownership to your user:
Code:
chown yourusername /media/nameofwindowsdirectory
Alternatively, launch a file manager like nautilus or pcmanfm as root and use its properties/permissions gui to change ownership from root to you.

File managers are a good way to get acquainted with the structure of your filesystem. Use list mode rather than icon mode and you will quickly learn where everything is located. Be careful if you do this as root - it is very easy to bork your system. Make sure you have safeguards working, like a popup box that will ask: "Do you really want to delete the / directory?"
Old 28th August 2010, 09:32 PM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora requires root password when accessing second windows hard disk

If i remember correctly if you install..
Quote:
yum install ntfs-config
you will get a gui that will allow you to automatically mount it etc..

Tags
accessing, disk, fedora, hard, password, requires, root, windows