Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th September 2010, 02:14 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Angry Motherboard Configuration issue

Ok, this isn't exactly a Fedora question, but i'm loosing my mind over it...

I just went out and bought stuff to build a new computer, and among the parts was a Gigabyte ga-890fxa-ud5 motherboard ( http://www.google.com/images?q=gigabyte+ga-890fxa-ud5 ). The board has 3 (well, 4, but we'll stick to the 3) main sata interfaces, with 2 slots per interface, allowing 6 sata drives. In slot_0 i put my blu-ray drive, in slot_1 i put my drive that will host the OS and its partitions, and that is in the sata connector pair on the left. The middle sata connector pair (slot_2 and slot_3) i have 2 2tb drives, and in the sata connector pair on the right (slot_4 and slot_5) i have 2 1.5tb drives.

So, you would expect BIOS/CMOS to list this as (SG=seagate, WD=WesternDigital):
1: cd/dvd (eg)
2: 1.5TB WD
3: 2tb SG
4: 2tb SG
5: 1.5tb SG
6: 1.5tb SG

or even like this:

0: cd/dvd (eg)
1: 1.5TB WD
2: 2tb SG
4: 1.5tb SG

but, instead, they're being listed like this:

1: 2tb SG

which is unexpected.

So, i turn the sata controller into raid mode, and when entering the raid setup utility, they're listed correctly. I setup a raid, and install 14 alpha on the only hdd that doesn't have a double (the OS is unraided; i only raid storage drives), and 14 will not boot (it also complains about the raid, which i may start another thread for).

When i take the 1st 4 sata drives out from the connectors, and connect them so that they will list correctly in CMOS/BIOS, then the are listed out of order in the raid setup. For example, if i ACTUALLY CONNECT them in this order:

1: 2tb SG

then they show up like this in CMOS:

1: 1.5TB WD
2: 2tb SG

which is how i WANT them to show up, as that is the logical order. But the raid setup utility shows them being out of order, because they are. So, wtf is going on here; do i have a bad board? I've googled this for a few hours now, trying to find a clear representation of how this is SUPPOSED to work, so that i can determine if i have a bad drive, but i can't seem to fine a clear definition of what is considered a "channel".

I've attached a couple of pix to clarify what i'm trying to say... (in the picture of CMOS i disconnected the 2 drives (blu-ray and Linux drive) that were in the first bay/channel).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	media1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	20099   Click image for larger version

Name:	drive_layout.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	20100   Click image for larger version

Name:	channel_layout.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	20101  

Last edited by Vector; 19th September 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Tags
configuration, motherboard