Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th September 2010, 11:44 PM
piranha32 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 14 + VirtualBox = blank screen

The same problem with my installation. I upgraded with preupdate from F12 to F13 and then to F14. F12 and 13 worked fine, but 14 shows a blank screen. I tried to install VB drivers, but installation of the X driver fails with an error message about unknown version of the X Window System.
Even with the screen blank, the upgrader completed successfully.
Old 1st October 2010, 02:22 AM
shadesia Offline

windows_7firefox

even I have not had that problem but I have seen that both alpha or beta could not run in my laptop.
when it appeared
Quote:
waiting hardware to initialize
then it's stuck, no progress, just blank.
any suggestion? f12 works well for me tough.
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:15 PM
Omnifarious Offline

macosfirefox

I'm having a very similar issue. I do not need to have X11 running after install. I'm using VirtualBox on a Mac, and using ssh with X11 forwarding to get into my virtual machine and using the built in OS X X server works just fine for me. But the text mode install is so anemic I can't get it to install the way I want to. :-(
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:17 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

Apparently VBox isn't tested as part of the release process, which is probably a pity, as I suppose various folks try it in VBox before installing.

As for the text install, judging from the relatively small amount of complaint when it was crippled, I guess that the majority of Fedora users don't care.
My own preference is for text/curses based installs, but judging from almost all Linux reviews of any distribution I see, apparently a simple graphic installer is considered highly important. <shrug>.
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:23 PM
Omnifarious Offline

macosfirefox

This problem can be gotten around by doing a vnc install. This requires you use a vnc client to connect to your running Fedora install which in turn requires that you have configured a usable network adapter in your virtualbox setup. You can get a vnc install by using the 'tab' key to edit the boot line for the install you want and adding 'vnc' to it.

See: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=621893#c2 for more detail.

This will leave you a system that cannot use X11, but if you have an X11 server running somewhere, you can always just do what I do and ssh into your virtual machine and run X applications over that connection.

Last edited by Omnifarious; 3rd October 2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Slightly more infomation.
Old 8th October 2010, 02:40 AM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

This bug should be fixed with the latest xorg-x11-server updates. I now have VirtualBox guests for both F14 and Rawhide with working X. You can either install graphically using VNC (which will set the default runlevel to 3) and then update so X works, and then set the default runlevel to 5, or wait until Final TC1 (which should include the fix and allow a normal graphical install) is released around October 12.
Old 8th October 2010, 05:13 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Apparently VBox isn't tested as part of the release process, which is probably a pity, as I suppose various folks try it in VBox before installing.
I can see their side of it though, the VBox people constantly changing their code to work for a moving target is just too much for them to do. They'll wait for Fedora 14 to finalize and come out as an official version, then they'll get F14 working with it.
Old 8th October 2010, 05:16 AM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

This wasn't VirtualBox specific, it affected KVM as well - see

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=623956

and it's fixed now.
Old 9th October 2010, 07:36 AM
axet Offline

macosfirefox

where i can get Final TC1? official site or?
Old 9th October 2010, 12:19 PM
ah7013 Offline
Registered "Cashew" User

linuxsusefirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by axet View Post
where i can get Final TC1? official site or?
Maybe off here? -
http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.or.../stage/14.TC1/
Old 9th October 2010, 12:22 PM
axet Offline

macosfirefox

seems trustable, but where are you get it from?

Last edited by axet; 9th October 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 9th October 2010, 04:57 PM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah7013 View Post
I think that may be a mistake - that IS the correct server, and directory name, but TC1 isn't scheduled until October 12. The version of the xorg-x11-server* packages that fix this problem is 1.9.0-13.fc14, so if you download this, make sure that version is included. If it isn't, you can still install using VNC, then yum update your xorg-x11-server* packages to the above version to get X working. (Or do the same with 14 Beta.)

Edit: Checked and although this is probably not the real TC1 scheduled for October 12 (maybe it'll be rsync'd several times to newer versions before the announcement), it does contain the updated xorg-x11-server* packages, and graphical install works in the usual way (without VNC).

Last edited by robatino; 9th October 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12th October 2010, 09:28 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

"This wasn't VirtualBox specific, it affected KVM as well - see"

Well, sort of, but it didn't break KVM, as by default it uses the cirrus driver which works fine. It only affected KVM if you manually tried to use the vesa driver, which there's really no reason to do.

"Apparently VBox isn't tested as part of the release process, which is probably a pity, as I suppose various folks try it in VBox before installing. "

It's not tested as part of the official validation process and if it's broken that doesn't constitute a release blocker, but in practice, plenty of people in QA (on the -test list) do test with VirtualBox and we generally know when it's broken. It just gets lower priority than actual blocker issues, including issues with the Fedora supported virt stack (qemu/kvm/libvirt/virt-manager).

"Maybe off here? -
http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.or.../stage/14.TC1/"

As Andre says, that's not actually TC1; it's the pre-TC1 automated acceptance testing image set. There was a communication breakdown and it got labelled as TC1, but it's not TC1. The real TC1 will arrive today, and it should include this fix, as the fixed X / vesa has been pushed stable.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 13th October 2010, 03:57 AM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

I think that somewhere in either this or another thread, I mentioned how it didn't work for me in KVM either, but that you had pointed it this wasn't universal.

As for it being tested as part of the release process, that's an executive decision, so to speak. I saw that a bug was filed.

One thing that might (or might not) be worthwhile, is that if various testers find it to be the case, when betas and RCs are announced, mention is made of it., if it's known.

My own standard procedure is to try it in VBox while in alpha--or possibly on a laptop, and usually, by the time it's in Beta, put it on my workstation--usually, within a day or so of beta releases, I can boot to it by default. This is the first time I remember it not working (for me) in Vbox.
Old 13th October 2010, 04:06 AM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The "real" TC1 is available now, in the directory

http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.or....TC1.1/Fedora/

Tags
blank, fedora, screen, virtualbox