Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st October 2010, 04:08 AM
arowana Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 14 RC1 available for testing

Hi,
thank you all for quick reply

i was not complaing about ignored bugs or Fedora at alll. Just had the perception that AdamW was mainly looking for bugs in the installer, since the rest of the release seems to be in a kind of freeze.

Dont want to feel like being off-topic when complaining about small issues

F14 impression: have two installations for office-work since Beta-release (64bit and my backup notebook with 32bit), did not notice any big issues. I actually like it very much. Nautilus Zoom in Icon View does not work. Sometimes Nautilus crashes when removing USB keys (killed by signal 11 SIGSEGV, whatever it means).

---

(For the Artwork: i like Fedora/Gnome for being consistent, investing in details (like unicolored navigation icons) and not being too flashy. Ubuntu (except for the new font) is a big artwork disaster, Linux Mint pretending to be something like Mac OS ten years ago seems to move the same direction. I have to work with Mac OS everyday and prefer default Gnome the way it is (Nautilus, Clearlooks..). Fedoras identity seems to be strong enough to withstand imitating other operating systems, I really hope you keep up refining your own tools step by step and keep that consistent approach.)
Old 31st October 2010, 07:59 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm using Fedora-14-Beta-x86_64-Live on a new laptop.

Two issues.

1) When I use the "install to disk" icon I am asked to change the hostname, which I do.
"localhost.localdomain" => "crucibulum.localdomain"
however after reboot and working through the firstboot without problem, the new hostname is not set.
The 'hostname' command reports "localhost.localdomain".
The file /etc/sysconfig/network contains the line:
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

2) The second issue is related to laptop screen backlighthting.
The laptop (Lenovo T510) has both Intel integrated graphics and Nvidia NVS3100 with "Optimus" technology.
When the Intel IGP is enabled in BIOS all is normal (15brightness levels)
When Only the Nvidia is enabled, and using the Nouveau driver, the initial screen backlight brightness is inherited from the BIOS, however after the first brightness change the brightness is restricted to a low range from black/off to about half of the normal.

As an aside suspend, hibernate work as expected.

Last edited by stevea; 31st October 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 31st October 2010, 09:34 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

1) Beta had that bug in the installer. Fixed for the general release

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anac.../msg00000.html

2) Perhaps check and report a bug
Old 31st October 2010, 09:59 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post

Two issues.

1) When I use the "install to disk" icon I am asked to change the hostname, which I do.
"localhost.localdomain" => "crucibulum.localdomain"
however after reboot and working through the firstboot without problem, the new hostname is not set.
The 'hostname' command reports "localhost.localdomain".
The file /etc/sysconfig/network contains the line:
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

The laptop (Lenovo T510) has both Intel integrated graphics and Nvidia NVS3100 with "Optimus" technology.
When Only the Nvidia is enabled, and using the Nouveau driver, the initial screen backlight brightness is inherited from the BIOS, however after the first brightness change the brightness is restricted to a low range from black/off to about half of the normal.

As an aside suspend, hibernate work as expected.
I doubt you will get anywhere with optimus as nvidia refuse to support it under Linux.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...hlight=optimus
Old 31st October 2010, 02:09 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Working pretty well for me. Undocumented changes in LDAP, splitting /etc/ldap.conf into pam_ldap.conf and nss_ldap.conf. (There is mention in /usr/share/doc, but I see nothing in release notes.)

Once I got that sorted, seems to be working normally so far. (Haven't done the big update that apparently came through a day or two ago, but RC1, at least, has been working normally.)
Old 31st October 2010, 04:29 PM
Mister B Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Working pretty well for me. Undocumented changes in LDAP, splitting /etc/ldap.conf into pam_ldap.conf and nss_ldap.conf. (There is mention in /usr/share/doc, but I see nothing in release notes.)

Once I got that sorted, seems to be working normally so far. (Haven't done the big update that apparently came through a day or two ago, but RC1, at least, has been working normally.)
Probably part of http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCryptoConsolidation
Old 31st October 2010, 06:08 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi

Do send your feedback on that as per

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...Notes-Feedback
Old 31st October 2010, 06:51 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
I doubt you will get anywhere with optimus as nvidia refuse to support it under Linux.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...hlight=optimus

Off topic,

I didn't imply optimus would be supported, but be careful when staring in your crystal ball.
The vga_switcheroo feature in 2.6.35 allows one to select the vid for display device and power the 'other' interface up/down. Of course getting X11 to cooperate is another matter. I'll wager it's a year off.

In my case - I want max battery life but also high screen resolution, and the laptop makers have some dumb idea that if you want a hi-res screen threfore you don't want just an IGP. So I own an nvidia chipset I don't really want. It's powered off. Low probability it will see 20 hours of use in the next 4 years.
Old 31st October 2010, 07:01 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

I added the feedback mentioned.

I would guess that in theory, at least, if the system authconfig tools work perfectly, folks might not even notice. However, there are so many different possibilities for ldap, that often manual fine tuning may be necessary.

Last edited by smr54; 31st October 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 31st October 2010, 09:31 PM
jayfree Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I would like to try F14 RC1 but..."I have a Dell studio xps 13 (1340) triple booting two fedoras (12 and 14 RC1) and windows vista.
I swapped out an intel 5100agn that worked in all 3 os's, for a 6200agn. The new card works in f12 and windows, but f14 beta hangs while booting. I booted f14 into single user and issued ifconfig wlan1 up to see what happens. The machine froze and all I got was the screenshot I am posting, that's it. Any help would be appreciated." from my other post
Registered Linux User #301129
Old 1st November 2010, 08:50 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

arowana: so, a few things =)

Fedora 14 was declared gold last Tuesday, that means nothing will change in the release images or repository since then. Once we hit gold, as far as the actual bits that make up Fedora are concerned, it's as if we've released: the images are done, the static repositories are frozen, and all changes now go out as official updates. In practice, the last date any changes were accepted was the date of RC1, which I think was the previous Thursday or Friday.

The reason there's a week between the images being declared gold and being released is to provide time for the update mechanism to be set up and checked, the release documentation to be finalized, the web sites to be prepared and so on - all the ancillary work which goes on around the actual bits.

Prior to the gold date, yes, there is a period when the release is frozen and only fixes for blocker or nice-to-have bugs are accepted into the release repo (which is what will form the images). Non-blocker / nice-to-have fixes, after that point, can only go down a path which eventually results in them being available as official updates on the day of release.

Blocker bugs are not only installer bugs, though. Blocker bugs are anything which infringe any of the release criteria:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedor...lease_Criteria

which is a range substantially wider than just anaconda. Additionally, 'nice to have' bugs can be just about anything; the definition of a nice-to-have bug is simply one we think has a significant enough impact on the release that if a fix becomes available it should be taken into the release even through a freeze period. It's an intentionally flexible concept and there's no strict rules about what can constitute a nice-to-have bug, though there are general principles that usually apply.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_nth_bug_process

and finally, as noted above, this doesn't mean we 'don't care' about non-blocker bugs once we're in a freeze period. Blocker bugs take highest priority, followed by nice-to-haves, but that doesn't mean other bugs are entirely ignored; they can still be fixed and a fix submitted so it will be available as a 0-day update, as mentioned above, and this often happens. As mentioned in this thread, there's a big pile of updates already available for people who installed F14-RC1; these are the zero-day updates in question.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:57 AM
arowana Offline

linuxdebianfirefox

Adam W.; thanks for your long and interesting reply! Like me, i am sure a lot of Fedora-users have very blurry pictures about your work. Your post helps clearing it up, so you should copy parts of it for upcoming questions regarding Fedora 15. It should actually help people getting closer to offer useful help. Thank you!
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:18 AM
unnilennium Offline

linuxfirefox

i've got a daily image of fedora 14 dated 27-10, is more updated than rc1? i've installed it in my laptop, and my opiniion is that it rock, but for a dependency problem, i can't install virtualbox, neither ose or puel, and i've returned to 13 in the meantime... but next week i'll try again the setup. thanks for the useful information.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:31 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post

Two issues.
[...]
This is a Gnome issue. In KDE the brightness works as expected.

Tags
fedora, rc1, testing