Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd August 2010, 04:00 PM
neogranas Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Logitech QuickCam

I did search and found qc-usb-messenger, but it was last update over two years ago, and the last supported release of Fedora was Fedora Core 5. I still tried to compile it but got errors about kernel version.

lsusb returns:
Code:
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:08f5 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messenger Communicate
In Cheese, I don't get any video or errors; it is just black where the video should be. Skype is also unable to use it.

Has anyone got this working or is it too old to be supported any more?
Registered linux user: #475337

Never underestimate someone with source code, a text editor, and the willingness to completely hose their system.
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:52 PM
neogranas Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Logitech QuickCam

I upgraded to Fedora 14 yesterday, now I can get the microphone to work that is built in to the camera, but the video is still the same. After following a few other threads where I install v4l2ucp, libwebcam, libwebcam-devel, and cheese-libs-devel but still no go.

Am I just out of luck and need to get a new web cam?

Never underestimate someone with source code, a text editor, and the willingness to completely hose their system.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:22 PM
oldcpu Offline

linuxsusefirefox

I had thought that webcam would be supported by the gspca (or spaca5 or uvc webcam drivers, but its not in their supported webcam lists.

I note also that the qc-usb-messenger driver used to support this webcam also ... and eventually I found directory with qc-usb-messenger-1.8.tar.gz tarball.

I do note this post about kernel drivers (ie modules INCLUDED with the kernel) about the quickcam_messenger kernel module. kernel/drivers/media/video/usbvideo/quickcam_messenger.h At the top and bottom of that page it makes it clear that the quickcam_messenger kernel module uses code from the qc-usb-messenger.
ie:
Code:
 * -  this define is taken from the qc-usb-messenger code
Code:
/* this table is derived from the qc-usb-messenger code */
As to how much code, and how the migration progressed from "qc-usb-messenger" tarball to "quickcam_messenger" kernel module, I can't find. I suspect the development of "qc-usb-messenger" stopped at version 1.8, where "qc-usb-messenger" was migrated to a kernel module called "quickcam-messenger" and from then on maintenance (if any) of the code will take place in the "quickcam-messenger" kernel module.

Can you check to see if the gspca module is loaded , and if it is unload and load the quickcam messenger module ? ... ie type (with root permissions):
Code:
modprobe | grep gspca
and if you see (for example) gspca_stv06xx loaded, then unload it and try loading a quickcam_messenger module
Code:
modprobe -r gspca_stv06xx
modprobe quickcam_messenger
note this is a bit speculative on my part, based on what I have seen work on a different linux distribution.
Old 4th November 2010, 01:18 AM
neogranas Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Excellent, thank you. I did find qc-usb-messenger but assumed it wouldn't work because it's more than 3 versions behind what I'm using. I know there is still a possibility to getting it work, but I'm not that good. I will try your suggestions and get back with the results tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

Tags
logitech, quickcam