Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th November 2010, 01:11 PM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox
Firefox and video streams...

Hello everybody!

I am running Fedora 14, 64 bit. I am watching one TV, which is in windows media player stream format - MMS. I would like that Firefox would automatically open mplayer and play the stream there. I have found and tried the following procedure:

mms streaming play
In the address bar type:

about:config

Right click somewhere and select NEW and then STRING. Type this in the box:

network.protocol-handler.app.mms

Click ok and in the box type the program you want to open the streaming media with, such as /usr/bin/mplayer.

Next right click again and select NEW and then BOOLEAN. Type this in the box:

network.protocol-handler.external.mms

Click ok and then type:

true

But unfortunately it doesn't work for me. Could you please help me? What's wrong here or what am I missing?
Old 17th November 2010, 02:19 PM
bonedome Offline

windows_98_nt_2000ie
Re: Firefox and video streams...

Hello
I'm not 100% sure I'm reading you right here, but if you wish to stream (non flash) media in firefox browser you'll need the mplayer plugin, I think it's called gecko-media-plugin these days, then restart firefox.
Alternatively find the media's url, open a terminal and type
Code:
mplayer (paste url here)
here's one to try
mplayer http://videomovies.ign.com/video/video/article/109/1095925/e310_ignlive_motorstream_061710_flvlowwide.flv
the difficult bit is finding the url, I use firefox addon unplug for that https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2254/ there are other ways but I like unplug

Last edited by bonedome; 17th November 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 17th November 2010, 02:27 PM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hello and thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Yes, I know the trick with mplayerplug-in. Although I am not aware if there is a newer version, I couldn't find a 64 bit one. That's why I decided to give this method a try and it was such a disappointment.
For this channel I was able to determine the URL easily, but I am just asking for a smarter solution.

Thanks!
Old 18th November 2010, 12:46 AM
bonedome Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello
I still use the old mplayerplug-in-3.55, I installed an old redhat rpm and it works better than any other browser plugin, that, greasemonkey and various userscripts mean I hardly ever have to resort to flash
Do these plugins not work on 64 bit systems then ?
Old 18th November 2010, 03:06 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I haven't used this in a few Fedora rev's but perhaps mozplugger is what you want,
http://mozplugger.mozdev.org/
Old 18th November 2010, 11:50 PM
darkman088 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hello,

I've tried to install mplayerplug-in. It made me install also libXpm-3.5.8-2.fc13.i686.
I've restarted firefox, but no TV was played... Maybe on 64-bit versions it works
differently...
I would still like this method with Firefox - to configure it to ask for an application
to open the stream with...

Tags
firefox, streams, video