Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th December 2010, 08:00 PM
MichaelBurns Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
hacking boot options on live usb

I would like to find out how I can hack into the iso file to change the boot options (esp.: automatic boot without 10 sec delay, persistence, read/write mode). Where can I find documentation for this? Or, anyone who would be so kind is more than welcome to just help me here in this thread.

I just dd'ed the iso onto my usb stick:
Code:
dd if=/path/to/Fedora.iso of=/dev/sda
(i.e. directly to the device, not to any partition on it). It seems to work just like I would expect the live CD to, which unfortunately means read-only. This is the main feature that I want to change.

What I'm worried about is: do I need to make any special provisions so that certain sectors stay put, or can I just edit files and let the file manager worry about what sectors to put them in? I'm assumig that there is some compressed file system or something. I don't know which files that I should edit or how; I'm assuming some isolinux files. I've been reading about it for months, but the boot process is still a bit baffling to me.

Tags
boot, hacking, live, options, usb

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search