Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:05 PM
icebearsoft Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs down How to disable automounting

I want to disable automounting removable media when they are inserted, especially CD and DVD. I use F13 and Gnome. I went through System/Preferences/File Management/Media and set everything to "Do Nothing", see below:

I have installed gconf-editor and verified that all automounting options are unchecked:

according to "/sbin/chkconfig --list" haldaemon is off and automount is not installed.
What else should I check?

I would not mind if USB (flash) disks were automounted
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:15 PM
mtk Offline

linuxchrome
Re: How to disable automounting

that's funny. i use KDE and i have the opposite problem. i can never get it to work. this behavior has persisted through FC12, FC13, and now FC14. sigh....
Old 27th December 2010, 09:05 PM
icebearsoft Offline

linuxfirefox
Lightbulb Re: How to disable automounting

I know this is not the right way but I have "solved" the problem by developing an unmounting daemon, see http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/zwumountd/
Old 30th December 2010, 04:05 AM
Mariusz W Offline

linuxfedoragaleon
Re: How to disable automounting

It is Nautilus that automounts for you USB drives. I have little idea about configuring Nautilus. I never done this myself, except for some really simple customizations. The reason is: I rarely use window managers.

Re. HAL -- it is deprecated, Nautilus doesn't use it any more if I am right, for mounting/unmounting.

One immediate solution is to start using fluxbox. There is an excellent tutorial thread devoted to fluxbox in the Guides area of the Fedora Forum. It encouraged me to dive into fluxbox a few days ago and in no time I was very happy with it: I realized that in fluxbox you can do anything you normally do in GNOME or KDE, usually even faster and more conveniently, if you are prepared to spend a few hours learning how to do that, or just following the instructions in that thread.

And replace the default style, whatever its name, initially with the preinstalled zimek blue style, and then go google for

fluxbox Equinox theme

(glorious GTK Equinox theme has been ported to fluxbox just 3 weeks ago), find it, download the archive (it's tiny), and unpack it in the ~/.fluxbox/style directory -- you will end up with a great looking, low footprint, very responsive, and powerful desktop.

Last edited by Mariusz W; 30th December 2010 at 04:08 AM.

Tags
automount, disabling