Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th December 2010, 02:10 PM
slang6 Offline

windows_7chrome
F14 No subpixel hinting

Hi all, i've a problem with Fedora 14. Although i active the subpixel hinting in the fonts setting it remains disable or however it isn't the same as other distro.
The only way i was able to active the subpixel hinting is that -> http://www.infinality.net/blog/?p=67 but the result isn't excellent and cause eye strain.

Other had have this problem? Do you have suggestions?

PS I have an Nvidia 9200m with closed driver (but i have the problem also with mesa and nouveau)

Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 03:27 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera
Re: F14 No subpixel hinting

Did you try this?

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts
Old 29th December 2010, 04:21 PM
slang6 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yes but i didn't get big improvements. For example i haven't the same result that i have on ubuntu....
Old 30th December 2010, 06:04 PM
slang6 Offline

windows_7chrome

No other with this problem?
Old 30th December 2010, 06:33 PM
vallimar Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

If you installed the latest rpm's from the infinality website, then you also need the configuration files to enable the changes. Did you do this, or just installed the rpm's and expected magik to happen?

Otherwise, if you don't like those results, then prepare to compile your own version of some packages with various ubuntu patches applied. Search around for the big ubuntu font thread for where to start along with some sample config files.

You also have to make sure that you are using fonts that support hinting and aliasing. Many free ones
simply do not, or not well.

Lastly, there are already at least a couple lengthy threads on this, so why did you feel the need to start yet another?

Tags
f14, hinting, subpixel