Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th March 2011, 02:40 PM
RobinQi Offline

macosfirefox
How do I get into runlevel 1?

This probably has been asked many times, if yes I apologize and please someone point me to the old post.

If my FC14 would not boot. And I didn't setup the boot menu, How do I get into run level 1?
Old 30th March 2011, 03:03 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How do I get into runlevel 1?

What do you mean you didn't setup the boot menu? If you're booting Fedora, you must be able to get to the grub menu, at least (you may have to press Esc a few times during the boot sequence). If that's the case, highlight your kernel entry and then press `a', add a space and the number `1' to the current line and press Enter to boot into single user mode (runlevel 1)
Old 30th March 2011, 04:08 PM
RobinQi Offline

macosfirefox

I meant I didn't setup to show the Grub Menu. Would press Esc get me the menu? Let me try that tonight.
Old 30th March 2011, 04:24 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Yes, as soon as the machine starts booting and gets past the BIOS screen, hit Esc, or, I believe any other key--you can use F8 like you would in Windows--to get the grub menu to display.

I would recommend once you have booted up, you change the grub default time out from 0 to 3.
Old 30th March 2011, 05:56 PM
RobinQi Offline

macosfirefox

Thx! I shall try that tonight.
Old 8th April 2011, 03:58 PM
v0m17 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
highlight your kernel entry and then press `a', add a space and the number `1' to the current line and press Enter to boot into single user mode (runlevel 1)
I never heard,read or saw that and when I press a at grub menu nothing happens,so I thought I was reading wrong and pressed e and added [space]1 after the kernel,but that changed nothing and I booted into X.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

I guess some can hit the up arrow and then hammering on "i" to get to interactive mode and skipping X,whatever its process's name is.
It doesn´t work on this FC14 but works on the FC13 I have at home and prolly most other.
Old 8th April 2011, 04:20 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

linuxfedorafirefox

There are two different editing levels at which you're allowed to modify the kernel boot parameters: One is the one already described, where you press Esc a few times during boot and you are presented with the grub menu from which you can select which kernel you want to boot (that is, if you have more than one kernel installed, of course; otherwise you'll be presented with a single entry). If you press 'a' at this point (this is true for a fully updated F14), you'll be given the opportunity to append to the kernel line: The second level is entered if you press 'e' instead of 'a'. If you do that, grub will present another menu from which you can select the 'root' entry, the 'kernel' entry or the 'initrd' entry. You should be able to enter the [space] 1 parameter in this mode too. The important thing to remember here is to apply the change, press Return and boot the kernel right away, as pressing Esc or, possibly (not sure), moving around the menu causes your modification to be discarded

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

I tested it: pressing 'e', selecting the kernel line, pressing 'e' again and appending [space]1 won't work
Old 8th April 2011, 04:53 PM
pforsell Offline

linuxchrome

Press 'a' to edit kernel parameters, go to end of line and add a space and a '1' then press enter.

F14: Dell Latitude D630 Core2Duo 2GHz 4GB
F14 x64: HP i7 3GHz 12GB
Old 8th April 2011, 04:59 PM
v0m17 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

It does not work for me however I found out that by by putting nv as device in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
it fails on starting X which is just what I want.

Happy weekend.

Tags
runlevel