Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th April 2011, 07:09 AM
justforgetme Offline

linuxopera
Rhythmbox thrashing hard drive on startup

Hello there everybody.

so, I'm using the rhythmbox installation that ships with fedora for my music playback. Every time is start the darn thing up though I can hear my external disk (media library) being accessed really hard. I assume this is part of some sort of library self check and probably a check for new music(?).

So this got me wondering on how rhythmbox keeps up with my media library and if there is a way to make it more, you know.. Lazy! I assume that atm rhythmbox just checks every file it nows in my library for `something` and at that also checks for new files and folders in the library directory. So I guess It would be quite a boost in startup performance (disk thrashing) to just skip the existing files checks. Right?

Well, I obviously don't know how rhythmbox ticks so be nice.

cheers!

:D
I still don't know what a 'grub' is or how many I need of them
download all your tubes! savetu.be
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:14 AM
justforgetme Offline

linuxopera
Re: Rhythmbox thrashing hard drive on startup

Well, I would appreciate some input on this..

Any ideas?

Old 2nd May 2011, 08:34 AM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

linuxfedorafirefox

Started using Rhythmbox, had the same problem, did some googling, found out it only supports XML "database", switched to Clementine.

HTH,
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:38 PM
justforgetme Offline

linuxopera

hmm... yes I did some googling too but didn't come up with an answer. the fact that the db is XML is something to worry about but i don't think it is the reason it re checks every folder at startup...

edit:
I've looked at other media managers aswell but i really don't like to loose the tight gnome integartion (drag''n drop into brasero or location etc. that rhythmbox provides) do all linux media managers do this stuff I tried using amarok but was dissapointed

Last edited by justforgetme; 2nd May 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:34 AM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by justforgetme View Post
hmm... yes I did some googling too but didn't come up with an answer. the fact that the db is XML is something to worry about but i don't think it is the reason it re checks every folder at startup...
What I meant is XML is bound to be very slow compared to a proper database. Besides, I couldn't find a way to disable the media directory scan either, so I dropped it (it took way too long even with my not-so-big music collection)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justforgetme View Post
edit:
I've looked at other media managers aswell but i really don't like to loose the tight gnome integartion (drag''n drop into brasero or location etc. that rhythmbox provides) do all linux media managers do this stuff I tried using amarok but was dissapointed
If you're talking Amarok 2.0 I couldn't agree more, that's why I suggested the Amarok 1.4 revive, i.e. Clementine

Tags
drive, hard, rhythmbox, startup, thrashing