Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2011, 05:32 AM
ar17787 Offline

macosfirefox
SAMBA issues

hey guys

I'm new to the forums so be nice, o and I've been using fedora for all of a week so be even nicer.

Basically I have found a really old (15 years) computer which I am effectively using as an ethernet card for a 1.5 terabyte seagate external hard drive formatted in fat32. I have also been meaning to try linux and fedora for quite some time and thought why not do it on a computer I can break. Needless to say I have had a lot of fun and consulted the forum numerous times and they generally have fixed the problems, for which i owe you my thanks.

however, there is one thing I am struggling with and just can't find the answer for, it is SAMBA. for some reason it has decided to not allow access to any computer outside of local. I have tried everything the forum has said

umask -> can't find parameter in fstab
force user -> for some reason still won't allow me in

my smb.conf set up is as follows

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = SambaServer
security = share
name resolve order = hosts lmhosts

[Drive]
path = /media/BACKUPFILES
force user = Andrew
force group = Andrew
read only = no
guest ok = yes

I know it is incredibally insecure but that doesn't worry me I want quick access more than i want security the internal network is prity secure with just mine and my girlfriends computer

I should probably mention it is sharing to both a MAC OS and Windows computer hence why I have to use SMB it is the one common denominator.

I hope this is the right place to post this if not please direct me to where I should

thanks in advance
Old 7th May 2011, 01:52 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: SAMBA issues

Did you allow samba through the firewall?

Try this for your backup drive.
PHP Code:
[Drive]
comment Backup disk
path 
= /media/BACKUPFILES
public = yes
writeable 
yes
browseable 
yes 
Then run testparm. There should be no errors. After that, restart samba.
PHP Code:
su -'service smb restart'
su -'service nmb restart' 
See if you can access the share. Give it a minute or two also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 8th May 2011, 01:46 AM
ar17787 Offline

macosfirefox

All firewalls are already off

the smb.conf ran through testparm fine no errors but when I go onto mac or windows still get the permissions problem.

I have read it might have something to do with the way linux mounts fat drives but i can't work out how to change the permissions the drive doesn't exist in fstab for some reason

something else quite random i just noticed is that the drive info says it was accessed and modified on the 1/1/1970 at 10????? the clock on fedora and the bios have the correct date

thanks so much for your help

---------- Post added 8th May 2011 at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was 7th May 2011 at 11:35 PM ----------

just re read the post and realised I'd said something wrong, i can see the computer with the other computers but when i try to access the drive it says there are insufficient permissions on windows and that it doesn't exist on mac os ive checked the path and i have checked all smb conf stuff i could find, still nothing.
Old 9th May 2011, 02:30 AM
Doug G Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Did you add your windows username and password to samba using smbpasswd? Or, depending on your windows version and settings, you may be connecting as the guest user over the network, and I'm not sure how you configure samba for guest user access.

I did a little more looking, apparently you can configure a guest user account in samba somewhere. I normally use user security, and with share security you probably don't need smbpasswd.

Last edited by Doug G; 9th May 2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 9th May 2011, 02:43 AM
doctorwhite Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Is selinux enabled? You really shouldn't turn off the firewall. What are the permissions on the folder you are sharing?
Old 9th May 2011, 05:42 AM
ar17787 Offline

macosfirefox

i have turned off selinux and i know i shouldn't disable the firewalls the plan was to get it talking without the firewalls on and then close them and let smb through.

the problems with permissions on a fat 32 external drive i think are the main culprit here i go into fstab to change the permissions and it doesn't exist tho, i try and change the permissions in the GUI and it won't let me just changes it back. so I'm stumped. I have a friend who works for red hat coming over tomorrow so we will sit down and try and work it out together and I will post the solution on here thanks so much for your help guys and if you think of anything im more than willing to try when i get a chance
Old 10th May 2011, 12:22 PM
ar17787 Offline

macosfirefox

ok ended up being a combination of problems. Had to turn of selinux properly (apparently I hadn't done it properly) and mount the drive with proper root permissions. hope this helps anyone else that has the same problem. but it now works properly in both mac and windows after a mac reboot

Tags
samba, smb, smb.conf, windows file sharing