Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th May 2011, 08:21 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Re: F15 final release

please don't do that. there is no actual problem here; the mouse action for accessing the overview still works. so you're just fanning the flames.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 10th May 2011, 09:11 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

He's just expressing an opinion, Adam. One which is no doubt unpopular in some circles, but one which pretty accurately described Gnome 3 on it's initial release into F15. It's worlds away from there now, but it felt a helluva lot like user lock-in when it first hit the streets. Now it's a bunch more flexible.

Much to the chagrin of the purists and artists, no doubt. <....>

But it moves on. In fits and starts, to be sure, but it moves on. Just like the debate, and just like the community. And in both cases, it tends to get a bit spirited.

<....>
Old 10th May 2011, 11:07 PM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
it's initial release into F15. It's worlds away from there now, but it felt a helluva lot like user lock-in when it first hit the streets. Now it's a bunch more flexible.
<....>
I'd certainly agree. With the Applications menu, and favourite icons on the panel from Ron Yorston, Gnome 3 is starting to have a lot of the functionality associated with late stage Gnome 2. I'll be a cheerleader for Gnome 3 now, a pleasant contrast to my earliest reactions.
Old 11th May 2011, 03:03 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I do agree that Gnome 3 is getting better.

While you still have to hunt around and dig into text config files to configure some of the things, at least it's changing so that is configurable to a point.

Some of the solutions that change the system files instead of files in the users home folder are really pushing things, but it works, at least until the next update

Still not to a point where it's usable on a machine I do my work on, but it does look like it's getting there.

Tags
f15, final, release