Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th May 2011, 07:24 PM
spek6bri Offline

linuxchrome
Acer 5738ZG Touchpad issue

Hello to everybody, after some waiting finally F15 is here...
I'm new to Fedora (although it is installed as the only OS in every PC in my University, but those PCs are not managed by me, so they don't count ), and I hoped this new version would not present the problem t does instead. Oh, by the way, if my English is not at the level to be understood, I apologize: unfortunately I'm Italian
The problem is that the touchpad in my laptop isn't working as it is supposed to.
I've tried Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 10.10, Kubuntu 10.10, the latest OpenSuse (I can't remember what version), Fedora 14, and now Fedora 15.
In every of them, excetpion made for OpenSuse, the touchpad is not recognised well.
- Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10: seen as a ImP/S2 Mouse. Multitouch doesn't work. Touchpad tab in Mouse Settings not avaiable. Side scrolling only works downward: as soon as I move my finger upward I get to the end of the page (like when I press the "End" button on the keyboard)
- Kubuntu 10.10: I don't know if it was recognised as it should (that means: as an ALPS Tochpad), but scrolling was possible, multitouch wasn't (Onestly I don't care about that... I only want it to move the pinter and scroll the page vertically)
- OpenSuse: It worked good like on Kubuntu 10.10 or better.
- Ubuntu 11.04: In the mouse options the Touchpad tab is present. I can confgure it anyways (side scrolling or two finger scolling) but it doesn't scroll: it just moves the ponter, even in the "scroll area". I found some blablabla to write in the terminal (I cant recall what was it) thus making it a imps2 mouse: loosing the touchpad tab but gaining the scrolling ability (even though the pointer started acting oddly).
- Fedora 14: It worked, if I remeber well... But I'm not so sure...
- Fedora 15: In the Live CD everything was perfect. Once installed, it isn't: it is exactly like in Ubuntu 10.04/10.10, only that I don't remember how to see the device name in the terminal so I can't say if it is recognised as a imps2 or what else. I think this s because of the option I have to add in the grub.conf to make the button that (de)activates the touchpad work: i8042.nomux=1. Without that, once I disable the touchpad it can't be re-enabled until restarting the system (or maybe just logging off).

what in hell can I do for that devilish thing (= the touchpad)?!?!

PS: I've just noticed that if I put one finger on the touchpad and then I try to move the pointer with another the poiner goes nuts
Old 24th May 2011, 07:39 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
Re: Acer 5738ZG Touchpad issue

Hello spek6bri

The English is fine, I can easily understand what you mean.

I have a laptop with an Alps touchpad and I find that needs settings that are different to those Linux sets by default.

You may face another problem though if you are running KDE. You mention at one point in your post that you have used Kubuntu.

In Fedora 15 KDE, in all the versions I've tried except today's final which I'm still downloading, the settings in Control Panel don't make any changes in the configuration file. In fact the configuration file doesn't exist.

If you post back which version of Fedora you are using and which desktop we can talk again.
Old 24th May 2011, 07:44 PM
spek6bri Offline

linuxchrome

I'm now using Fedora 15 with Gnome 3.
I tried Kubuntu only to see how KDE is... I don't like it very much
Old 24th May 2011, 07:48 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello spek6bri

I'm afraid I can't help you there then.

I haven't been brave enough to try the new Gnome yet, I've always used KDE.

Certainly, in Gnome 2 the touchpad tapping always needed to be enabled through a Control Applet.

For an Alps touchpad I always had a problem getting "tap to drag" to work.

Hope someone comes along who can help.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:33 PM
spek6bri Offline

linuxchrome

thank you anyway

Tags
5738zg, acer, touchpad