Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th June 2011, 04:23 PM
borgward Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Runs Dell WiFi Card?

Considering going back from Ubuntu 10.04 to Fedora. Will Fedora run the Broadcom WiFi card on my Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop out of the box?

Terminal Command to determine which WiFi card is in my laptop?

How about RedHat Desktop? Where do I find a list of all applications that come with Red Hat Desktop, and list of hardware that works with it?
Old 11th June 2011, 09:10 PM
Benzin Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Runs Dell WiFi Card?

"out of the box" i dont know. But Im running F15 on a dell mini10v, it has a Broadcom 4312 wlan card. and after installing the akmod-wl package it works perfectly.
You need to know the exact model of your card. at a terminal run:
lspci
And check the results. then see if its supported by the broadcom sta propietary driver, and if it is, then follow instructions here.
I recommend you use the second option (the akmod method). I dint even have to do steps 3-5, after installing the package, rebooted and it worked perfectly.

Good luck!
Old 11th June 2011, 09:23 PM
borgward Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I ran lspci

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)

akmod-wl package - is that a wrapper?
Old 11th June 2011, 09:44 PM
Benzin Offline

windows_7firefox

it seems you have exactly the same card i do, and like i said it worked perfectly (on my box at least).

I think akmod-wl is a wrapper, from what i read it downloads all necesary stuff to make the driver for your kernel. Plus its advertised as automatically rebuilding the driver every time you get a kernel upgrade.

I tried about 4 other methods of installing the driver, the first method described in the link i gave you dint work at all for me. i also tried this one (sorry its in spanish but you can see the commands), and that one did work, but network connection was VERY slow.

The one i recommended (akmod-wl) worked perfectly and network connects at full speed.

Be adviced thoug, if youre using the PAE kernel you need to download the development PAE kernel *Before* you install akmod-wl or it will fail to install.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

hey, off topic and speaking of ubuntu 10.04...
I have it on another identical netbook, and the network icon doestn work, when my wireless connects, the network IS connected, but the icon doesnt have a signal reading, it has a "!" (exclamation) mark, you have that problem too? (just curious)

Last edited by Benzin; 11th June 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11th June 2011, 11:29 PM
borgward Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

hey, off topic and speaking of ubuntu 10.04...
I have it on another identical netbook, and the network icon doestn work, when my wireless connects, the network IS connected, but the icon doesnt have a signal reading, it has a "!" (exclamation) mark, you have that problem too? (just curious)

Yeah I recently began having that problem after running Ubuntu for several years. Actually, the entire icon does not appear. Sometimes it does appear. I just click around where it should be and the the drop down appears.

Last edited by borgward; 11th June 2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Additional Comment

Tags
card, dell, runs, wifi