Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:02 PM
dave539 Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
Angry help configuring dial in over usb - serial converter

I'm trying to do something very old, but for me very necessary. I am trying to get dial in acces via a modem that is connected via a usb <-> serial converter. I am running F14. The serial port is OK. I can run minicom and access the modem and even interogate it. What I am unable to do is to get the computer to answer. Much has changed and I have not dealt with upstart and things like that (if indeed that is needed).

I believe I"m OK with 115200 communicating with the modem. I know the device is /dev/ttyUSB0.

Is ther someone who can fill in the blanks? Or, point me towards really good documentation that explains how to do this.
Old 24th June 2011, 01:09 AM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
Re: help configuring dial in over usb - serial converter

Hello- and welcome to the forum.

Until just very recently, I had been totally confined to using old fashioned dial-up. Though my modem is a pci slot full hardware modem and not connected via USB, the basics should work the same. The fact that you can talk to the modem via minicom shows that the hardware is all working just fine.

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret your statement: "What I am unable to do is to get the computer to answer. ".

I can only assume you mean dialing in to your ISP account, which I also assume, you have setup. I have found that for configuring dialup, using "system-config-network" works best and is the easiest. If you don't have that installed, then:
Code:
su -c 'yum install system-config-network'
Or just use your package manager if you're more comfortable with that. Look for "Network" in your menu after you install system-config-network, or just bring it up from the command line, as root. If it doesn't already find a "Modem" device, just click New while on the Devices tab, then select Modem connection. You can setup everything you need using just the Devices and Hardware tabs and their sub-tabs, including entering your ISP info (username, password, phone #) and doing the Edits as necessary for the new modem device you're setting up.

Some tips:

Uncheck the "Controlled by NetworkManager" box
Check the "Allow all users to enable and disable the device" box

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I realize also, that you may very well mean "the other computer to answer", and not an ISP account. In that case, that adds the complexity of.. "is the other computer setup correctly to have its modem answer on ring?".

Last edited by PabloTwo; 24th June 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:03 PM
dave539 Offline

windows_xp_2003opera

No! Dialing out to somewhere is no problem at all. What I need to be able to have is my local modem answer the call and the local computer needs to be able to have the calling party log in.

I do not require PPP. Just a simple login from a serial terminal.
Old 24th June 2011, 01:09 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

I can't help you with that situation then, as I've no experience doing what you describe.
Old 24th June 2011, 03:35 PM
beaker_ Offline

windows_7firefox

Have you tried google or configured mgetty?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+dialup+server

Simpler.., just string you modems and attach them to ttyS. Beyond that, I'm not doing your homework.

Late Edit. ttyS# or usb..., it works well here.

Tags
configuring, converter, dial, serial, usb