Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2011, 09:07 PM
thecovester1 Offline

windows_7chrome
[SOLVED] Speakers not working properly- I can't adjust volume

I've had this problem since I fresh installed Fedora on my laptop: I can play sounds fine, but I can't mute/make it louder or softer. I couple days ago (right after I installed) there was a notification saying there was an error with something in the sound and it was "falling back to default". Recently, the notification stopped popping up but the problem persists.

I'm not 100% positive as to what type of speakers my laptop has. I know they're made by JBL, but on Windows they're handled by "RealTek HD Audio Manager" and in Device Manager there's 2 different audio devices: Realtek High Definition Audio and ATI HDMI Audio. Neither of them say they're JBL brand. The most information I can get out of the specs of my laptop found on Newegg is that they're "JBL stereo speakers (1.5 watt x 2)".

What could be happening? Is it a driver problem? How can I fix it?

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S- I'm running the KDE Spin of Fedora 15, so I have a different utility for controlling audio than GNOME users do.

Last edited by thecovester1; 9th August 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:31 PM
oldcpu Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Speakers not working properly- I can't adjust volume

Did you try controlling the volume with the pulse audio volume control app 'pavucontrol' ?
Old 9th August 2011, 09:39 PM
thecovester1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
Did you try controlling the volume with the pulse audio volume control app 'pavucontrol' ?
no- I dual-boot the KDE Spin of F15 so I use KMix instead of PulseAudio so I can't use pavucontrol.

EDIT: Wait a minute... I have pulseaudio installed... I'll see what happens when I download pavucontrol.

EDIT EDIT: Hm, this is interesting. KMix was adjusting the volume on "Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series] Digital Sterio (HDMI)". pavucontrol sensed 2 output devices: the one I just listed, and "Internal Audio Analog Stereo". It seems like the first choice would be the correct one, but the internal stereo is the correct one. idk why.

Anyways, it's working now. Thanks for suggesting "pavucontrol"; it made me realize I was using the wrong device.

Last edited by thecovester1; 9th August 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:24 PM
oldcpu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecovester1 View Post
EDIT EDIT: Hm, this is interesting. KMix was adjusting the volume on "Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series] Digital Sterio (HDMI)". pavucontrol sensed 2 output devices: the one I just listed, and "Internal Audio Analog Stereo". It seems like the first choice would be the correct one, but the internal stereo is the correct one. idk why.

Anyways, it's working now.
Great news ! Glad to read is now functioning.

Tags
adjust, properly, speakers, volume, working