Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th August 2011, 09:11 AM
AndyNZ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
yum install gcc not working (network timeout)

Hey guys I'm new to this forum - hope this is the correct subforum.

I am studying computer science at Otago uni in New Zealand and we do most of our coding on Fedora based machines. I have installed fedora on my laptop so it is dual booting with windows vista.

The only problem I am currently faced with is that gcc does not come preinstalled - I have googled how to install it and it seems I am supposed to use the command "sudo yum install gcc" which seems to start working:

Code:
"Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language list"
However it then goes on to repeat an infinite loop of:

Code:
"****://linuxdownload.adobe.***/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout on ****://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: (28, '')
Trying other mirror.
Am I doing anything wrong here? One thing to note is that I am connected to the net through my university network - is it possible that the uni is blocking these connections? How can I check this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

Tags
gcc, install, network, timeout, working, yum

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search