Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th September 2011, 09:53 AM
warpino Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 15 and Catalyst. Dual monitor

Hello everyone,

I would like to bring my experience with the latest version of Catalyst drivers (currently 11.8) on a fresh install of Fedora 15 on my laptop.
I have to say the open source drivers seem to work without problems (I installed and updated the OS a few hours ago.)
Using the ATI drivere the task panel of Gnome 3 is distorted, plus the movement of the windows is slightly less smooth than with the drivers provided with the OS installation.
Apparently this is a known bug.

In addition there is a strange problem with the dual display configuration.
The "Multiple Desktop" option in Ati Catalyst Control Center does not work: logging out and in again screens only show the background.
But if I use extended desktop, the behaviour seems correct after a log out / in.
On reboot, however, whatever the setting, the two monitors show a low-resolution cloned desktop: the same behavior you would get if, booting the laptop with the external display unplugged, you plug the HDMI cable during the session.

Have you had similar experiences?

w.

Tags
catalyst, dual, fedora, monitor