Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th October 2011, 02:08 AM
dencar Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora on Dell XPS 17

I run Fedora 15 on a Dell Inspiron 9400, which I want to replace with my new Dell XPS 17 L702X. Rather than use the grub bootloader on the MBR I want to use EasyBCD and the Win 7 bootloader to load Fedora. I want to install Fedora on the second hdd, with grub on /boot at /dev/sdb1. If I try this with Fedora 16 beta and grub2 all I get is the grub prompt and from there grub2 is unable to find the kernel. If I install Fedora 15, grub legacy starts the boot process and I get a screen headed ---[ cut here ]--- kernel bug at drivers/pci/iova.c:155! This bug report details the problem: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=710382 and refers to this bug report:https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=705441 which suggests the issue has been dealt with for Red Hat 6.1, but evidently not for Fedora 15.

Linux Mint Debian Edition and Sabayon both install as I want without any issues. Arch has the same grub2 error as Fedora 16 beta. I would like to continue running Fedora. Can anyone suggest a cure for the kernel panic in Fedora 15 or a solution to the grub2 issue with Fedora 16. I don't want to install grub2 in the MBR. Many thanks for any advice.

Tags
dell, fedora, xps