Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2011, 12:59 PM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox
Conky disappearing from desktop

I'm running F16 in a virtual machine, and having managed to get gnome-shell running correctly, I'm now attempting to get the machine set up as I like.

I first got conky running at startup, and then installed gnome-tweak-tool and put file manager in control of the desktop (since I like my desktop icons ). While file manager is in charge, however, closing windows seems to turn conky on and off. That is, if I close a window, conky disappears, and if I close another window, it reappears. I've not had a chance to play properly yet, but this certainly applies to nautilus and terminal windows. Taking desktop control away from file manager resolves this issue, but obviously takes my icons away too - and frankly, I don't feel I should have to choose between them

This is the part of my conky script that is presumably relevant:

Code:
# --- Window Layout & Options --- #
own_window yes
own_window_colour brown
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
use_spacer right
use_xft yes
alignment top_right
gap_x 10
gap_y 30

# --- Colours, Sizes, Fonts & Margins --- #
update_interval 2.0
maximum_width 260
stippled_borders 3
border_margin 9
border_width 10
default_color grey
I've tried setting own_window_type to normal, override and desktop, and they all have either the same effect or don't show conky at all.

Any suggestions?
Old 10th October 2011, 02:08 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome
Re: Conky disappearing from desktop

Try own_window_type desktop or own_window_type override. Also, edit this line, own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager to look like this: own_window_hints sticky,skip_taskbar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 10th October 2011, 03:13 PM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox

Setting own_window_type to desktop or override didn't do anything when I tried them before... But having shut the machine down, gone off for an appointment for two hours and come back, I now can't reproduce the problem! Hopefully that's the end of it, but if it comes back I'll try out the other change suggested!
Old 10th October 2011, 03:27 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

I think it used to happen on one of my Fedora based installations, not necessarily Fedora. In case it helps, here's the opening "verse" to my conky config:

Code:
# --- Window Layout & Options --- #
own_window yes
own_window_colour orange
own_window_type override
own_window_hints sticky,skip_taskbar
double_buffer yes
use_spacer right
use_xft yes
alignment top_right
gap_x 10
gap_y 40

update_interval 2.0
maximum_width 850
stippled_borders 3
border_width 100
default_color grey

# --- Text --- #
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
font Monospace:size=9:weight=bold
uppercase no
draw_shades yes
Maybe there's a difference between yours and mine that will make a difference for you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 10th October 2011, 03:33 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

On the rare occasions that conky "disappears" from my desktop, a quick and dirty,
Code:
kill `pidof conky` && conky &
brings it back. I haven't had to use that line for quite some time now.
Old 5th November 2011, 04:32 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

On my Fedora 15, using Gnome 3 in fallback mode. Letting file manager control the desktop (so that desktop icons are visible) and right or left clicking in the desktop area conky would disappear. After reviewing glennzo's settings changing the line from "own_window_type desktop" to "own_window_type override" fixes the problem for me.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

One bad thing I just noticed is that with the new settings the conky window disappears after logout / login. I am starting it using gnome-session-properties (startup applications) it may be that conky has to be started *after* the file manager to get it to stay. It appears when the panel is loading but disappears when the desktop icons show up.
Old 6th November 2011, 01:36 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
One bad thing I just noticed is that with the new settings the conky window disappears after logout / login. I am starting it using gnome-session-properties (startup applications) it may be that conky has to be started *after* the file manager to get it to stay. It appears when the panel is loading but disappears when the desktop icons show up.
There is an old thread on conky that includes a script, see the first post, for starting it with a delay. It was needed for things like compiz, might work for you - http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=187902.
Old 6th November 2011, 03:40 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks ozjd I just came up with something similar and was going to mention it. The delay script idea works fine.

Tags
conky, desktop, disappearing