Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th November 2011, 03:15 PM
dragonbite Offline

linuxfirefox
Arrow Connected, can ping but nothing else

This has been a strange loss of network with Fedora that is getting stranger and stranger.

It started off that when I tried Feodra 16 on my laptop, which goes into fallback mode, I am able to connect to the router and PING returns results but when I try anything with the browser I get "server not found". If ping a site and then do "http://<ipaddress>" then the page would come up.

If I remember correctly it didn't work with a wired-in desktop either (but it was giving me trouble with nvidia and display) so I cannot remember if it was successful or not at this moment.

So I think the issue has to do with DNS routing.

I thought since I lost my firewall (IPCop) when we lost power for a week and had to re-arrange the network that maybe the DNS was not being passed. Except the Ubuntu and Windows machines are still working alright.

Last night, though, my Fedora 14 is exhibiting the same issue! Again, my other systems are working fine it is just Fedora.

I did connect to the router and tried manually entering the DNS address that the modem is using but that didn't change anything either. I started thinking, maybe the other systems are "remembering" the DNS

So I brought my laptop here to my daughter's dance class since it is a different router/network than at home, I thought if my network is screwed up the chances that they are messed up too is slim.

Fedora 14 would connect, but not give me any web pages. Right now I am typing this on my Ubuntu hard drive on the same exact machine, (I can swap out hard disks and one has Fedora 14, another Ubuntu 11.10) using the same exact network.

Fedora 16 I would attribute to a possible bug, or poor download of the LiveCD ISO, but now it is happening on my Fedora 14 installation I have had for a while (at least 6 months) and has not had an issue.

#ifconfig does not show me the DNS information, and I haven't tried going back to older kernels in 14 either.

Code:
01:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11a/b/g (rev 03)
Come to think of it, I was using Fedora 14 to download Fedora 16 the day it came out, at work. At that point the network would connect but only for a while. I had to keep turning off wireless (via Fn keys) and turn it back on. Then the torrent would continue. I thought it was because I was on the outer reaches of the wireless and it did clean up when I moved the machine closer in for the last 20% of the download.

Any ideas of what it could be, or what I should do to try and determine the issue? So far, this seems to be a Fedora thing but that it effected not only 16 but 14 as well is perplexing!
Old 12th November 2011, 06:10 PM
raisen Offline

macossafari
Re: Connected, can ping but nothing else

Any chances you might have a proxy enabled in your system and since you lost your firewall it cannot be reached ?
Old 14th November 2011, 02:18 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I tried changing the proxy settings in Firefox to no effect.

I wouldn't think if the system was looking for a proxy, that ping would work.

In Fedora 14 I just tried using an older kernel and it still did not work.

Could an SELinux change/update cause this sort of behavior?

While Firefox is the most obvious indicator, anything that uses a name and not an IP (like yum, Thunderbird, etc.) is likewise not finding anything.
Old 14th November 2011, 03:09 PM
326bd935 Offline

linuxfirefox

the easiest way to check dns fualt is to ping an ip adress
eg an easy one to remember like google dns resolver: 8.8.8.8
then something else like fedoraproject.org
then it becomes obvious whether dns is at fault

AFAIK torrents don't require dns to run other then tracker names so... just a guess out of thin air, you having to reset your internet connnection may have to be to do with the fact that you are re announcing yourself and cant resolv tracker name, when you reconect it may just use previous data, but i dont know much in this area and is really just a guess.
Old 14th November 2011, 05:10 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 326bd935 View Post
the easiest way to check dns fualt is to ping an ip adress
eg an easy one to remember like google dns resolver: 8.8.8.8
then something else like fedoraproject.org
then it becomes obvious whether dns is at fault

AFAIK torrents don't require dns to run other then tracker names so... just a guess out of thin air, you having to reset your internet connnection may have to be to do with the fact that you are re announcing yourself and cant resolv tracker name, when you reconect it may just use previous data, but i dont know much in this area and is really just a guess.
I have done a ping for fedoraforums.org (#ping fedoraforums.org) and then place the returned IP address in the http://... address box of Firefox. The page comes up but once I click on a link (which goes to http://forums.fedoraforum.org/...) I get "cannot find server"

When I downloaded Fedora 16, I had to navigate to the Fedora website to get the torrent. At first I just ran it, but after a few times of doing that I finally saved the .torrent file in my local directory and used that to restart the download.

I am not sure when exactly Fedora 14 stopped working.

So are you suggesting to do a #ping 8.8.8.8 and I may see something different than my #ping google.com?

As far as I know KGet isn't running automatically when I log in, but should I try logging in and see if anything happens then?

Oh, at one point I thought maybe the systems that work were "remembering" a DNS setting, but I did run an Ubuntu LiveCD (10.10 I think) which won't have any such "memory". It connected just fine.

So far, it points to being localized on Fedora 14 & 16. What I haven't tried yet is to use Fedora 15 or Fedora 14 LiveCD as that would [1] predate any updates and [2] did work because 14 is what I have had the laptop running for about 6 months (I chose to go w/14 because 15 couldn't give me desktop effects and 14 did).

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Oh, one thing that comes to mind is maybe it is an issue with the wireless driver! Does this seem feasible, or since I can ping does that mean it cannot?
Old 14th November 2011, 05:31 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

It sounds like your DNS is not working.

What do you have in /etc/resolv.conf?
Old 14th November 2011, 05:50 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

The thing is, if I ping "google.com" I get back a response AND I get their IP address. Would this work without DNS?

One idea somebody here just came up with, is what if Firefox (and all the other programs) are trying to go us IPv6, while ping automatically usese IPv4 (#ping6 uses IPv6).

He also first mentioned /etc/resolv.conf until he heard I was getting IP addresses back from Ping after putting in the name of the site (and multiple names; google.com, fedoraforum.org and my wife's website).
Old 14th November 2011, 07:08 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I know in my case, F16 wipes out my WORKING /etc/resolv.conf file and replaces it with one that doesn't work, retrieved from DHCP (which only includes itself, but does not forward requests...) This allows it to work for some hosts, but not in the general case.

This is the fault of NetworkManager not doing the right thing, and the "configuration tools" that don't work properly anymore.

I've had no problems with earlier systems... just not F15/16, and more with F16 than 15. When I define the DNS entries, then they get added to the resolv.conf file when DHCP updates. But not with F16.

So what is in the /etc/resolv.conf file? Does it have the proper entries? Or has it dropped the correct entries?

Does it work if you add the correct entries? (at least until the next time they get hosed..)
Old 15th November 2011, 12:31 AM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I'll have to check and see what resolv.conf looks like when I go home tonight.

What is "proper entries" and how should I know what is supposed to be in there?

It may be self-evident when I go in there, but until then I have never been in resolv.conf to know what it is supposed to look like.

Ok, I just took a quick look at a FreeBSD server for work and see what is supposed to be in there. I'll check it out tonight definitely.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Here is the contents of my /etc/resolv.conf. This is the same as it is for the working Ubuntu desktops.
Code:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf 
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain MSHOME
search MSHOME kingdom
nameserver 192.168.1.254
I also tried renaming the file, logging off and logging back on again. It re-created the resolv.conf and it looked exactly like it did before.

Last edited by dragonbite; 15th November 2011 at 01:13 AM.

Tags
browser, dns, fedora 14, fedora 16