Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th November 2011, 07:34 AM
alice78 Offline

linuxchrome
You have new mail in...

When I invoke a command on the terminal I am getting this annoying message from time to time:

You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

I am new to Fedora (previous Ubuntu user) and no idea where this comes from. How to turn this option off?

PS: I searched the internet.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:06 AM
aesir Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: You have new mail in...

Well you are supposed to read them, they can contain important logs and errors (even though most of the time they are useless).

When you see it, run the command "mail".
It is simple to use: just type help and it will show the basic commands; you can use syntaxes like d*, d10-27, etc.

If you want to tell bash not to check for new mail change the MAILCHECK variable:
MAILCHECK=0
to make it persistent for you current user:
echo 'MAILCHECK=0' >> $HOME/.bashrc
Old 30th November 2011, 10:18 AM
alice78 Offline

linuxchrome

No thank you. I don't want to read them. If you don't know the answer please don't make the internet a rubbish by posting irrelevant answers.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:29 AM
aesir Offline

linuxfirefox

Please if you are not able to read don't bother others to write you an answer!!!
Old 30th November 2011, 10:35 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Hello alice 78. I wouldn't call aesir's answer irrelevant. Not by a long shot. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, aesir's answer is very informative and accurate. I would, however, call your reply rude and uncalled for. This will not be tolerated going forward.

If you don't know how to handle the mail messages perhaps you need to revisit the advice given.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 30th November 2011, 12:22 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Sigh. Ok, I can understand frustration and quick answers out of frustration, I'm married, but when something important happens in life, one realizes how trivial aggravation on a forum really is.

(On the other hand, the mail command is a pain, I recommend mutt for that.)
If you don't want to read them....

Well, check if sendmail or postfix is runnning.

pgrep sendmail

If you get an answer, that means yes, it is running. If you just go back to a command prompt it means it isn't, and my answer is equally irrelevant.

Just to be sure, if it goes back to a command prompt, try

pgrep master

If it still goes back to a command prompt, well, you can stop reading. Otherwise, if one or the other of those gives you a line with a number, or perhaps two lines. Most likely is sendmail, so then you can do

systemctl disable sendmail.service

as root or with sudo.

If you got nothing with sendmail but got something with pgrep master, then use postfix.service instead of sendmail.service

(Not sure about that--postfix might just show up as sendmail, but regardless, in that case, you'll get an answer with the first pgrep)

Next time you reboot, it will stop sendmail, and then you shouldn't get those messages, I think, but I'm not guaranteeing..

As for this answer, if you don't like it, as I said, I'm married, so you can be as abusive as you want--that stuff rolls right off, but as I tell my wife when she's throwing things at me, it's not the best way to get help.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:29 PM
alice78 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir View Post
Well you are supposed to read them, they can contain important logs and errors (even though most of the time they are useless).

When you see it, run the command "mail".
It is simple to use: just type help and it will show the basic commands; you can use syntaxes like d*, d10-27, etc.

If you want to tell bash not to check for new mail change the MAILCHECK variable:
MAILCHECK=0
to make it persistent for you current user:
echo 'MAILCHECK=0' >> $HOME/.bashrc
Thanks for your answer. I didn't see the last part.

Tags
mail