Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2011, 09:33 AM
GNowakowski Offline

linuxfirefox
Startup Applications in Gnome 3

So...without editing ~/.config/autostart (which I can't find in F15...)
How does someone set a startup application?

I notice Gnome 3 does not have the "startup programs" option available any longer.. So, I went searching with the hopes of running it with trusty terminal:
Code:
#yum whatprovides gnome-session-properties
You can use "*/gnome-session-properties" and/or "*/bin/gnome-session-properties"
to get that behaviour
#gnome-session-properties
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOS
tream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Terminated
Ouch... So... How do I get cairo-dock to run after login?

I'm looking to run "cairo-dock -o"

Last edited by GNowakowski; 25th May 2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:02 AM
jtfolden Offline

macossafari
Re: Startup Applications in Gnome 3

gnome-session-properties works fine for me in F15. I just tested it again. So it *should* work for you, as well.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:18 AM
GNowakowski Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
gnome-session-properties works fine for me in F15. I just tested it again. So it *should* work for you, as well.

I apologize - I should have annotated that i'm running into this problem in Gnome 3> Classic Gnome with Compiz

when I try to recreate the error in "Gnome" (Gnome 3) it runs...although still throws the error.
When I try to run it in the Classic Gnome (which also does not have startup applications) it errors and won't run the session properties.

I apologize for the confusion - Error still on.
Old 28th May 2011, 05:43 AM
gatlin Offline

linuxopera

Is there a reason why the G.U.I. link was taken away? (It would also be hand for this - or any other commands - to be runnable from the 'Activities' "screen?" or whatever one would call that?

Does anybody know if the loss of the Application's Icon is a bug or intentional as a part of the new Gnome3?
Old 1st June 2011, 06:25 PM
messner Offline

linuxfirefox

I have the same problem:
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Terminated

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

It work when I start it as normal user (not root)
Old 25th August 2011, 08:47 AM
jkissane Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
Thanks that worked for me as well. Would have been easier if the GUI had been left in though.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:48 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkissane View Post
Thanks that worked for me as well. Would have been easier if the GUI had been left in though.
It is still there, but hidden. yum install alacarte. Run alacarte (listed under the "Other" section as "Main Menu") and choose the System/Preferences section. It should be there, but unchecked. Check the box for "Startup Applications" and it should then show up. However, instead of showing up in the "System Tools" section, it shows up also in the "Other" section

This is in Gnome Shell, but I think it should work for the fallback mode with Compiz as well. However, I have not verified that part.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 9th September 2011, 01:54 PM
nolebrink Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you! I wasn't able to find the startup applications gui either, but now have it.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:18 AM
vaschem Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatlin View Post
Is there a reason why the G.U.I. link was taken away? (It would also be hand for this - or any other commands - to be runnable from the 'Activities' "screen?" or whatever one would call that?

Does anybody know if the loss of the Application's Icon is a bug or intentional as a part of the new Gnome3?
I'd kick those who made theese stupid changes in Gnome 3. Searching how to add an app to startup I've lost hours of my life. In gnome 2 it was a question of few seconds!

The same, I'm unable to place icons on desktop, I'm unable to change content, size and colours of my bars on the desktop... it were really hot moments changing from gnome 2 to gnome 3 for a common user like me.

What's the worst, i find gnome 3 really like a step back. Fine graphics effect, but all needed functions I have to configure manual and heavily.
Old 4th December 2011, 07:24 AM
BenTrein Offline

linuxchrome

So how does this work in Fedora 16? I tried installing alacarte, but it crashes the instant I run it, because:
Code:
MainWindow.py:19:<module>:ImportError: No module named gmenu.
Bug reporting as we speak, but is there a way to make some programs start automatically upon log-on?

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp. The more you surf the more it draws you in!

Great authors suffer from Writer's Block. I cherrish my Writer's Blog!

Last edited by BenTrein; 4th December 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 4th December 2011, 07:32 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...76#post1535476

Specifically, post #14.

Tags
applications, gnome, startup