Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2011, 06:32 PM
piga Offline

linuxepiphany
Disk errors always on reboot (Fedora 16)

I recently purchased two WD20EARS Western Digital hard drives, and I installed Fedora 16 on one of them. After about a week, every time I rebooted the machine I would be greeted with file-system errors. Using fsck would temporarily solve the problem, but after the next reboot it would do the same thing again. I checked the drive using the Gnome Disk Utility, and it said it had bad sectors and was not healthy, so I decided the drive must have been a dud, and did a fresh install on the second one I purchased.

The second drive worked fine and has always reported as being healthy. But after about two and a half weeks, the same thing has started happening again. The thing is, the drive itself is still reporting as healthy. So I may have to look elsewhere to a solution to this problem. I am unsure if it is a hardware problem (Memory, my SATA interface, what?) or a software problem (something about Fedora 16). I still have a working Fedora 13 setup on a older 80 Gigabyte IDE WD drive which has never given me any issues with the same hardware.

I am at a loss at the moment, though I am going to run memory tests just in case. So if you have any ideas, even if they at first glance may not be applicable, give them to me anyway. I can not think of anything better.
Old 21st December 2011, 06:39 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox
Re: Disk errors always on reboot (Fedora 16)

Just beeing curious, have you 'played' with diffrent partitions, either tools or partition sizes?

I think during a 'phase' were i've been stressing my laptop with partitions, since then its reporting to be healthy witha a few bad blocks.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:01 PM
piga Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Disk errors always on reboot (Fedora 16)

Well, it looks to have been rather simple. I changed the SATA cable I am using for the drive, and can now reboot properly.

Tags
disk, errors, fedora, reboot