Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th December 2011, 01:12 PM
Edanny101 Offline

linuxchrome
How make call/sms via mobile broadband?

Hi,
Is there a way to make phone calls and send SMS via mobile broadband 3G modem, i mean an application for the 3G modem which is similar to such as Mobile Partner on Windows or launch2net on Ubuntu?
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th December 2011, 05:42 PM
trigpoint Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How make call/sms via mobile broadband?

Code:
yum install gammu
Its a command line utility to send/read sms.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:11 AM
Edanny101 Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks "trigpoint",
I was try gammu and its work fine with my modem for send SMS but i prefer graphical program than using command line so I tried wammu which is graphical version of gammu but it has a lot problems with my modem such as not recognize model and etc, As I understand wammu programmed for phone not for 3g modems.
Anyway any other programs?
Old 17th December 2011, 10:17 AM
Firewing1 Offline

macossafari

I don't think this is possible unless you are tethering from a phone... I don't think 3G modems are assigned phone numbers on the network which will make it difficult to make or receive any SMS or calls.
Edit: That just may be the way they do things here, since carriers will give you a different SIM for the modem. I guess if you're using your phone's SIM then this would be possible given the proper software.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:25 AM
Edanny101 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewing1 View Post
I don't think this is possible unless you are tethering from a phone... I don't think 3G modems are assigned phone numbers on the network which will make it difficult to make or receive any SMS or calls.
Dear Firewing1 thanks for reply,
I am using my phone Sim in to my 3g modem. actually its Mobile broadband. I am able to make call, SMS, MMS although connecting to internet with this modem on Windows OS.
But when I am using it in Fedora mising all phone calls! Thats the problem i have right now.

Last edited by Edanny101; 17th December 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 22nd December 2011, 01:21 PM
trigpoint Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewing1 View Post
Edit: That just may be the way they do things here, since carriers will give you a different SIM for the modem. I guess if you're using your phone's SIM then this would be possible given the proper software.
As far as I know a SIM is just a SIM and always has a number attached to it, it is certainly possible to put any SIM into a 3G dongle (subject to operator locking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edanny101 View Post
Dear Firewing1 thanks for reply,
I am using my phone Sim in to my 3g modem. actually its Mobile broadband. I am able to make call, SMS, MMS although connecting to internet with this modem on Windows OS.
But when I am using it in Fedora mising all phone calls! Thats the problem i have right now.
Gammu does have options to answer phone calls, but when I tried calling my 3 PAYG SIM when it is in a 3G dongle I heared a message saying that the number is unable to accept calls at present, so no doubt the network is aware that its in a dongle and just doesn't try to connect.

If your problem is missing phone calls, why do you not just use a USB cable or bluetooth and use your phone as the modem?
Old 22nd December 2011, 01:46 PM
Edanny101 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigpoint View Post
As far as I know a SIM is just a SIM and always has a number attached to it, it is certainly possible to put any SIM into a 3G dongle (subject to operator locking).

Gammu does have options to answer phone calls, but when I tried calling my 3 PAYG SIM when it is in a 3G dongle I heared a message saying that the number is unable to accept calls at present, so no doubt the network is aware that its in a dongle and just doesn't try to connect.

If your problem is missing phone calls, why do you not just use a USB cable or bluetooth and use your phone as the modem?
Dear trigpoint,
First thanks for reply, and second I am using Nokia c1-00 which is a simple phone and its not support USB or any kind of 3G and etc.
Anyway By Wammu I can make call but no voice support and when I call back to my modem can hear normal beep but no ringing in my computer or any notification.
Refer to gammu page at http://wammu.eu/phones/huawei/4160/ gammu only supported Phone information, Sending and saving SMS, Basic phonebook functions (name and phone number) for my modem model.
Thanks again fr your kind reply.
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:53 PM
weitjong Offline

linuxfirefox

Have you tried gnokii and xgnokii (the graphical version of it)? I have not tried this software on the 3G mobile broadband dongle before but it works on my candy bar nokia using bluetooth connection. If I still remember it correctly the last time I tested it, I was even able to make outgoing call from the PC via the sync-ed contact list. In the man pages for gnokii, it mentions it does not only support nokia phones but also 3G modems that understand AT command set.

HTH.
Old 22nd December 2011, 03:38 PM
Edanny101 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
Have you tried gnokii and xgnokii (the graphical version of it)? I have not tried this software on the 3G mobile broadband dongle before but it works on my candy bar nokia using bluetooth connection. If I still remember it correctly the last time I tested it, I was even able to make outgoing call from the PC via the sync-ed contact list. In the man pages for gnokii, it mentions it does not only support nokia phones but also 3G modems that understand AT command set.

HTH.
Dear weitjong, Thanks.

I was try it before but it not work with 3G modem and i was try to config it and I found the xgnokii not support USB connection. Maybe its my lack of information about xgnokii that's why I can not used it for my 3g modem.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:11 PM
weitjong Offline

linuxfirefox

Are you sure about the non-support for USB port? I understand the xgnokii uses the configuration file from gnokii and in the gnokii's configuration file I could see references to USB. Having said that, I have no first hand experience with USB connection setup myself, so I cannot provide you any more hints there. But I reckon you can easily search the net for such information. Just put the two keywords together in your search . It also does not claim that it supports all the 3G modems out there. If you follow the wiki page on gnokii, you should be able to find the list of modems that it supports or partially supports and how it should be configured. Disclaimer: no promise you will find what you are looking for there.

Good luck.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:36 PM
Edanny101 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
Are you sure about the non-support for USB port? I understand the xgnokii uses the configuration file from gnokii and in the gnokii's configuration file I could see references to USB. Having said that, I have no first hand experience with USB connection setup myself, so I cannot provide you any more hints there. But I reckon you can easily search the net for such information. Just put the two keywords together in your search . It also does not claim that it supports all the 3G modems out there. If you follow the wiki page on gnokii, you should be able to find the list of modems that it supports or partially supports and how it should be configured. Disclaimer: no promise you will find what you are looking for there.

Good luck.
Yup, I was doing some research about it but I have to stop it and start celebrate, hope tomorrow i can learn more staff about it.
Any way Merry Christmas and happy new year, Wish a good holidays for you guys.

Tags
broadband, call or sms, make, mobile