Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2011, 09:16 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Libre Office to format files for Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
... Also, watch what you send in PDF format - resumes I can see, but if the recipient needs to alter that document in the least, they will cuss you for it. OR if they use one of those online converter & there is any personal / sensitive info in it, you MAY be getting into a security issue. (remember, once it leaves YOUR hands, it may be in the hands of IDIOTS)
Precisely why you do the following:
  • Strip the personal ID stuff out of the document. (Embedded)
  • Set both encryption and permission passwords.
  • Allow printing, but disallow any changes
  • Disallow copying of content

It won't stop the truly determined, but it will slow down the Idiots.
Old 21st December 2011, 09:28 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

I'll admit I'm using OO on F14 - but I DO have a copy of FIBRE (on M$ - W7) & really don't see any real difference other than M$'s stuff. (it's function is the same) - So I figured they were the same, especially with the screenshots provided. If I'm wrong, somebody PLEASE set me straight.

But if I'm right, you SHOULD be able to do this: - Open the "writer", write some text, then click on the icon that looks like a "floppy disc" this is save. That dropdown is on the bottom right of the box. - [on mine] it says "all formats".

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 21st December 2011, 09:29 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Which brings a question ... and an experiment to mind. Just how secure is a Libre Office generated pdf file?

I've just followed most of my own advice from above, and created an experimental pdf file. Your job, should you decide to try, is to see how easy it is to crack.

Once you crack it, post the contents below as a text quote, and tell us exactly how you did it. (Whoops! There may be some strong language in that document! Please edit out the nasty stuff before you post it!) <....>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test-secure.pdf (19.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 21st December 2011, 09:50 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Precisely why you do the following:
  • Strip the personal ID stuff out of the document. (Embedded)
  • Set both encryption and permission passwords.
  • Allow printing, but disallow any changes
  • Disallow copying of content

It won't stop the truly determined, but it will slow down the Idiots.

What I was referring to is a document that has such info in it's main text, & you are pretty much [required] to give it to them. (I.E. Drivers License Number on a job app)

Then there are those DARN form's one has to fill out & they're in [locked] PDF form. - some can't even be printed, ever get one of THOSE?

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 21st December 2011, 10:32 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Ayup. Let's just say that when it comes to sending documents, working toward portability, dealing with info security -- and the average office worker ... there's an awful lot of operator headspace in the system.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:36 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Laura gingerly rubbed her temples with calloused rough fingers; suddenly her headache was
back with a raging vengeance. In a voice that was barely a whisper, she vented emotion,
frustration and some of her anger. "S***! It figures!"
Is that the last paragraph? Or is it more complicated than that. My asterisks by the way.

I just opened it in Okular and gave it your name when asked for a password.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:50 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Dang. I guess I should have been more creative with the password. <....>
Old 21st December 2011, 11:01 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

I was helping someone yesterday transfer an e-mail system to a new machine. They had created a really complicated password of random upper and lower case letters and numbers - and then couldn't remember what it was.

You just can't win.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:03 PM
pottzie Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, I got my question answered, and just like Pogo said, I met the enemy and he is ..me.

I installed Abiword, and tried using the "save as" from the list. When it opens, I'm offered a choice of formats. I wondered why Libre Office didn't do that, so I checked..and it does the same thing. I was trying to get it through "tools/options/" then trying to finagle things, all the while wondering why I needed to go that far into the system to set something that ought to be pretty much upfront for a user. Turns out it was, I just didn't see it.
So what else is new? Solved.

I took a screen shot to show the "all Formats" button that I overlooked. When I tried to expand that button, the screen shot wouldn't work, it was either screen shot or expanded drop down, but I couldn't make them both work at the same time, as when I chose one it would cancel the other.

I did try using the print screen button, but on this old Thinkpad, it didn't do anything.

Old 22nd December 2011, 10:21 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

OK. The way to do that, is to download and install the Gnome Screenshot utility. Run it, select any number of seconds for delay, then hit the OK button, then quickly set up the menu selection like you want to catch, and wait for the shot to happen after the indicated number of seconds.

Tags
files, format, libre, microsoft, office