Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th December 2011, 07:50 PM
hakova Offline

linuxfirefox
Question [SOLVED} boinc stopped working

I am a new convert from Mandriva, so please be gentle with me .

After some struggle, I was able to set up the boinc client about 10 days ago and it was doing its job until a few days ago. I noticed that the client was not working anymore and
Code:
ps aux |grep boinc
returned a defunct process. I tried to restart the client in so many different ways with no avail. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the client and manager packages, renamed the /var/lib/boinc directory just in case. I noticed that although there wasn't any error messages generated during the re-install, the new /var/lib/boinc directory was not created appropriately. It was missing all the files, including the signature/password file.

Of note, SElinux has started to warn me about the boinc process trying to get access to certain files/folders (fifo_file, /bin/bash, /proc/interrupts, /proc, /etc/localtime, nvidiactl) a few days before and on the day of the failure. I have opted to ignore them all.

Has any one here had this experience/observation? Is this due to an update you think? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hakova; 29th December 2011 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Solved
Old 27th December 2011, 04:21 AM
hakova Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: boinc stopped working

I am kind of replying myself but this problem is unsolved at the moment. Briefly,

1. boinc won't start at boot. It will just create a ghost process and get stuck
2. it will only start by root user manually. If attempted to start as user boinc or others, it will report another instance is running, although there is no lockfile present in /var/lib/boinc, and ps aux reports no boinc-related process

Please see this forum link for details.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th December 2011, 02:35 AM
dwarthog Offline

linuxfirefox

I have been having problems with the recent upgrade of BOINC as well.

After reading your post I went back and noticed the same thing you report, a ghost boinc_client process in addition to a regular one.

I updated selinux using the new ones out in the test repository and now all is well, for the most part.

Got some weird thing going on with the menu's in the gui, but at least the client is now running and I can connect to local host.
Old 29th December 2011, 03:40 AM
hakova Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks dwarthog for your detective work that led to the source of this problem, i.e. a buggy selinux policy update.

Tags
boinc, stopped, working