<---- template headericclude ----->
FC 16 and Epson Perfection 4490 Scanner
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC 16 and Epson Perfection 4490 Scanner

With FC 15, I used an Epson Perfection 3490 Scanner for some years and it failed. I purchased an Epson Perfection 4490 Scanner, downloaded and installed the drivers provided by Epson (see http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do) and then things just worked.

With FC 16 (Fedora 16), however, this is not the case.

The scanner is recognized:

Code:
    sane-find-scanner 
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0119 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:001:006
    So, the scanner is at least found. Running iscan provides the error

Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status.
    Editing epkowa.conf to remove SCSI and changing USB to "usb 0x04b8 0x0119" causes to iscan to return with no errors and nothing is started. XSane starts and tells me that there is an unknown model Epson printer, and then does nothing (meaning it hangs for a bit and then just exits).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FC 16 and Epson Perfection 4490 Scanner

I have the same problem with my Epson Perfection V33 scanner. It worked in FC12 without any problems, but when I upgraded to FC16 I can't get it to work. It shows in dmesg, and running sane-find-scanner also returns a usb bus and device number, so it is being recognized. Have you had any luck in getting it to work since you posted this question?

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

They haven't helped me, but they might help you:

• AVASYS Image Scan! for Linux User's Guide - math.northwestern. edu/resources/computer_information/userg_revG_e. pdf
    • AVASYS Linux Packages Need to Install - avasys. jp/eng/linux_driver/faq/id000651.php"]http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/faq/id000651. php
    • Fedora 16 System Administrator's Guide - docs .fedoraproject. org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/System_Administrators_Guide/index. html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmandolyn
    I have the same problem with my Epson Perfection V33 scanner. It worked in FC12 without any problems, but when I upgraded to FC16 I can't get it to work. It shows in dmesg, and running sane-find-scanner also returns a usb bus and device number, so it is being recognized. Have you had any luck in getting it to work since you posted this question?
    About two weeks ago, I decided to repeat my original installation steps for use with the proprietary manufacturer drivers and then things worked with no problem. Note that I had done this before as well. Since that time, I have had numerous updates, including kernel updates, and a few reboots just so that the latest kernel would be running.

Even when I could not get it to work, the scanner was recognized, it simply did respond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pitonyak
    About two weeks ago, I decided to repeat my original installation step
    Thank you for the suggestion - I finally got it working, too. I went to reinstall, but I had already deleted the RPMs, so I did a search to find them again, and I found this website: http:// download.ebz.epson. net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX , which had an update for the driver as well as a translator RPM to install so that iscan could recognize my Epson scanner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent, glad that it worked for you..... Glad that Epson updated their drivers. I found it a confusing mess when I tried to figure out what scanners would work with Linux...