Samba Server
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Live in the Great White North called Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samba Server

I have installed a Samba server in our office using Fedora 15 on a desktop box. The problem I am having is that during the night it goes into a suspended mode and drops the wireless network connection.

1 How do I keep this server up and running 24/7 with no suspend or hibernate taking place?
    This server needs to be up and accessible at all times. I come in the screen is blank and no matter the keys pressed it requires using the reset button to reboot which is totally unacceptable.

2 How do I keep it from dropping the network connection.

The only option for me right now is to write a silly script and run it during the night periodically using the job scheduling to keep the machine busy during the night and on the weekends. Any and all thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Samba Server

I suspect you are seeing the result of some power management process.

I use KDE, and can configure things like after how long (if at all) the system suspends, or turns off the monitor from System Settings -> Power Management.

There must be an equivalent for Gnome, but I don't personally know what it is. Try having a play with the settings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do use KDE and have looked at the power management in the system settings but it is for laptops not a desktop. I have no batteries or ac adapters on this box. So I don't see how I could use this to control anything on my desktop.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

I did come across the following for Fedora 14 which I now have implemented on my f15 server. Don't know yet if it works.
    Create a new file in /etc instead:
    Code:
    # vi /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/50-disable-suspend.pkla
    And copy the following text into that file:
    Code:
    [Disable Suspend]
    Identity=unix-user:*
    Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate;org.freede sktop.upower.suspend
    ResultAny=no
    ResultInactive=no
    ResultActive=no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about the fix you found, but I do think that the Power Management settings apply equally to desktops and to laptops.

However, it does occur to me that the KDE power management only takes effect if you are logged in. To configure the settings for when you are logged in ...

Having opened the Power Management settings module, you should see two tabs on the left: "Global settings" and "Power Profiles". Under "Global settings", you should see that most of the options are greyed out; you should probably see "When AC adaptor is plugged in: Performance" as the only available choice.

Now switch to "Power Profiles", and click "Performance" in the middle list. Here you can configure whether or not to suspend (and after how long).

If the system is being left idle with no user logged in, then I don't know what would cause it to suspend. I've not seen that happen with Fedora 14 on either a desktop or laptop. (But then perhaps I've just not waited long enough!)

Hope you can get it sorted.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm - wonder if you can disable Suspend in the BIOS?? I don't know - haven't been in there in forever and can't right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marriedto51
    I don't know about the fix you found, but I do think that the Power Management settings apply equally to desktops and to laptops.

However, it does occur to me that the KDE power management only takes effect if you are logged in. To configure the settings for when you are logged in ...

Having opened the Power Management settings module, you should see two tabs on the left: "Global settings" and "Power Profiles". Under "Global settings", you should see that most of the options are greyed out; you should probably see "When AC adaptor is plugged in: Performance" as the only available choice.

Now switch to "Power Profiles", and click "Performance" in the middle list. Here you can configure whether or not to suspend (and after how long).

If the system is being left idle with no user logged in, then I don't know what would cause it to suspend. I've not seen that happen with Fedora 14 on either a desktop or laptop. (But then perhaps I've just not waited long enough!)

Hope you can get it sorted.
    Thanks for your help. It seems that script that I wrote did the trick but I did have the root account logged in overnight and a screen saver running. On the weekend I will leave the system up but not logged in and see where things stand Monday a.m. I will post the result. If it did not work then I will play with the power management option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhawk
    Thanks for your help. It seems that script that I wrote did the trick but I did have the root account logged in overnight and a screen saver running. On the weekend I will leave the system up but not logged in and see where things stand Monday a.m. I will post the result. If it did not work then I will play with the power management option.
    All is right as rain. The script seems to work and I also hard wired the system now. Now it stays up all the time and can be accessed anytime.