Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th January 2012, 02:05 AM
woodboss Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 driver needed

Hello forum.
I am new to Linux (well, sorta new).
My 7 year old computer decided to die 2 days befor Christmas so I am stuck with an old IBM running fedora 12.
fedora is the only Linux distro. that I could even get to install with this video card installed.
Here's what I have:

It's an IBM 831063U
CPU: Pentium 4, 1.80 GHz. 133MHz.
RAM: 1.5 Gig. PC3200 DDR
Audio: Creative SB Live Value
Integrated Video: Brookdale-G Graphics Chip (this has been disabled in BIOS)
PCI Video Card: nVidia NV17 GeForce4 MX 440 (rev.a3) This is the card that I need the driver for.

I have looked everywhere to find the driver for this card, to no avail. As I said above I am still a Linux noob and sure could use some help getting the correct driver and instructions to install it.
The Terminal does not scare me and I am fairly comfortable using it to install/remove, update/upgrade etc., infact, in most cases I prefer it to using the GUI method.

Thank you in advance.
I hope I included all of the necessary information but if I left something out, please ask.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:11 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 driver needed

Check out Leigh's guide: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

The 96xx drivers used to support it, since I had the same card, however if there's no support mentioned, I'd leave it at 2D.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:38 AM
scheme Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I'd leave it at 2D.
True. I can tell you that gnome-shell looks really weird with this graphics card.
Old 7th January 2012, 06:25 AM
woodboss Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

@ bob
@ scheme
Thank you both for the information.
Unfortunatly, I suspect that this is an issue that far exceeds my knowledge in Linux.
Nevertheless, I love a good challenge so, I am going to attempt to get this card to work.
(Unless I can find an easier video card to install). LOL

Once again, thank you both. Your help is greatly appreciated. Oh yea, by the way, I forgot to mention in my original post that I went through 6 or 7 different linux distributions before I finally found one that would even install using this video card.
The list includes, but is not limited to, the following:
Linux Mint 10, 11 and 12
Ubuntu Linux 9.10, 10.4 and 11.04
KUbuntu 11.04
LUbuntu 11.04
XUbuntu 10.10
Fusion Linix
OpenSUSE 12.01
antiX-M11 and
Puppy Linux

I could not even get to the screen that gave the option to Try or Install.
Granted, several of these distro.'s are built on basically the same Kernel so it was probably foolish to keep trying but I was desperate.

The funny thing is, this video card was installed on a much older computer and it worked great. But that machine was a M$ Windows XP PRO computer. If I have to go back to Windows to use this card-it's time to get rid of the card.
Old 7th January 2012, 08:26 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

I think the current value is about $.03 on ebay. I remember when it was a 'hot' card about 10 years ago and I used mine for about 7 years in all. It was certainly worth every cent I paid for it back then, but once I upgraded, it was consigned to the garbage bin without any regrets.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 7th January 2012, 12:49 PM
scheme Offline

linuxopera

Hm, that's odd. My parents use my old PC (Athlon XP, 768 MB RAM, GeForce4 MX 440) and I had no problems with installing Ubuntu 11.04. Unity uses fallback mode and is very slow, though, but who uses Unity anyway.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:29 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Yea, I got one of the GeForce 4 MX's and was thoroughly ticked at Nvidia because the GeForce 3 card was a better card than the GeForce 4 MX series, but Oh well, live and learn..

It was a decent card, though, and I had no issues installing just about anything I wished to used with it. Any version of linux pretty much supported it, even without the nvidia drivers, which worked if I wanted to use them as well.

I still use a laptop that has a GeForce 4 MX 440 go adapter in it, and right now it has F16 loaded on it, using the nouveau driver. (I did have an issue with the F15 LiveCD not booting with that video and locked completely up, but F16 seemed to have worked ok.)

Edit:

Actually, unless you need multi-monitor support, and your onboard chipset is an I845G or better, you may be better off using the onboard graphics than you would using that Nvidia card. Teh performance of a GeForce4 MX series was about the same as the Intel 845.

Last edited by DBelton; 7th January 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 7th January 2012, 09:39 PM
saqer Offline

linuxfirefox

No go with nouveau? Try a newer fedora that ships nouveau (cenrtainly fc16 does) and install it. No need for the 96xx drivers.
Old 8th January 2012, 05:05 PM
woodboss Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks all.
I am in the process of downloading and installing F16 now. I will report back with results.
Old 8th January 2012, 07:11 PM
Veeshush Offline

windows_7firefox

I coincidently just mentioned in another thread that there are modern PCI cards that can give older systems a good boost:

ZOTAC ZT-50610-10L GeForce GT 520 PCI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500228

ZOTAC ZT-40605-10L GeForce GT 430
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500221

You can't go wrong. PCI is indeed old, but I've been more than happy with my own testing. I own the 520, and plan to get the 430 at some point.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:47 PM
woodboss Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you all for responding and offering your help.
I have concluded that it is beyond my knowledge and experience to continue trying to get this video card working, therefore, I have decided to purchase a more Linux friendly video card.
The thing is, this old IBM has an integrated Brookdale -G graphics chip in it and it seems to work fine except that it is not capable of supporting shaders and that is something that I just can't live without.
So.....?

bob had it rite when he said.....
Quote:
I think the current value is about $.03 on ebay. I remember when it was a 'hot' card about 10 years ago and I used mine for about 7 years in all. It was certainly worth every cent I paid for it back then, but once I upgraded, it was consigned to the garbage bin without any regrets.
Funny thing, seems like computers and computer parts hold the same resale value as a used car.

@Veeshush
Thank you for the links. I checked them out (love newegg.com) and I think I am going to follow your advise.
I agree with you that a new model video card can breath new live into a tired old computer.
I am not pleased with having to go PCI but I don't have a choice right now.

Once again, thank you to all of you that provided help.
Old 9th January 2012, 03:08 AM
JohnVV Offline

linuxfirefox

ScientificLinux 6.1 runs just fine on my old box with a Gforce2 mx 400 card
mind you i have to use the nouveau driver seeing as the 96. is not supported .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10

Tags
440, driver, geforce4, needed, nvidia