Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th January 2012, 04:38 AM
rpk2006 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Upgrading to latest version of Fedora

I installed Fedora on hard disk from Fedora 14 LiveImage on a DVD. I want to upgrade Fedora to the latest version. How to do so?

Zing Life
Software Findings
Old 10th January 2012, 05:14 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox
Re: Upgrading to latest version of Fedora

the easiest route to latest version is downloading the latest image and installing it.

http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
Old 10th January 2012, 05:37 AM
rpk2006 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Do I need to re-format the existing Fedora partition and install the latest from the CD image?

Zing Life
Software Findings
Old 10th January 2012, 05:55 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

backup your data and Reformatting would be the easiest option.
Old 10th January 2012, 04:18 PM
rpk2006 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Oh. thats a bad news.

Zing Life
Software Findings
Old 10th January 2012, 04:29 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Backup is always a good idea, just in case something goes bad.

You can always try the "preupgrade" path, but the amount of disk space needed for /boot depends on how many packages you have installed. This appears to be because the preupgrade fills it with packages to be applied after the first boot. When the first boot completes these packages will be installed and the space released (well, mostly).

This is one of the reasons a fresh install is recommended. Another issue is that Fedora 16 uses grub2, and that can play hell with your partitioning - it needs a partition of it's own, so you loose one of the primary partitions. It is possible to workaround this, but it means using grub to boot grub2... which is a pain.

In my experience it is always a good idea to have the /home partition on a separate drive (in my case, it is in a SAS/SATA hotswap container, so I can pull it out during system install to guarantee no damage to it).

My next round of upgrades of my system disk will reorganize it - two primary partitions (grub 2 eventually), and /boot. The third will be an extended partition with everything else I need (two root filesystems, and a good sized swap). I use the two root filesystems to have a current system, and an upgraded/test system. /boot (and swap) are used with both root systems.
Old 10th January 2012, 05:42 PM
rpk2006 Offline

windows_7ie

I am downloading the newer version (16) and will write the ISO image to a CD. I have two queries here:

1. Is it a bootable installer or a LIVE version? I clicked the download link that is displayed on the banner of the home page of Fedora.

2. Will the new installer replace the MBR entry of the old version?
Old 10th January 2012, 05:46 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

answer:
1.Its both.use this http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
2.yes,if you format the hard Disk.

Tags
fedora, latest, upgrading, version