Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th January 2012, 11:11 PM
mikebg Offline

linuxfirefox
Using NetworkManager to connect to both DSL and wired

First a little history:

I run an office network which also needs to connect to the outside world with DSL. The DSL connection is in 'bridge' mode. Until upgrading from Fedora 14 to Fedora 16 I was using an app which sat in the dock and ran a little script to start up the DSL connection using pppd. I had a local DNS server set up and ip-up.local / ip-down.local scripts handled the changeover of files in /var/named depending upon whether the ppp connection was running or not. The same could be done from the command line using 'ppp on' and 'ppp off' commands. Masquerading was handled by iptables.

All went smoothly.

I have just upgraded to Fedora 16. I no longer have an app dock, so I thought I would use the NetworkManager to handle things, rather than use the command line (which I have tested, and which works fine, just as before).

However, if I connect to the DSL, I can only see the 'outside world'! The internal, wired network becomes non-existent! I am actually quite sure my DNS is OK, and the ip-up.local / ip-down.local scripts seem to be working fine, but the other computers on the local network have been disconnected - which means that the masquerading is not having any effect either, as we cannot talk to each other, let alone have them routed through my machine and onwards!

I have tried playing with the configuration, but nothing seems to work.

Can I be the only person with such a setup?
Will I have to remain with the command line connection, or is there another way?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Last edited by mikebg; 18th January 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Tags
connect, dsl, networkmanager, wired