Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th January 2012, 12:28 AM
MuadNu Offline

linuxfirefox
Skype microphone volume in F16

I truly hate skype, it is always my main source of headaches when I upgrade. The microphone just never works. Anyway, I need to use for work so I'm stuck trying to get it working.

I'm on a Dell Vostro 1400 (same hardware as many Inspirons) running F16. My internal mic works for any other application (for example sound recorder), but with skype it just doesn't. Sometimes I get the faintest recording, usually nothing. I've tried everything I can think of but it doesn't work. I can't remember what I've done exactly in the past to get it working. Any ideas? Btw, it works ok with F16 in a different laptop.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:55 PM
zoroid Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Skype microphone volume in F16

Its not skype it is Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuadNu View Post
I truly hate skype, it is always my main source of headaches when I upgrade. The microphone just never works. Anyway, I need to use for work so I'm stuck trying to get it working.

I'm on a Dell Vostro 1400 (same hardware as many Inspirons) running F16. My internal mic works for any other application (for example sound recorder), but with skype it just doesn't. Sometimes I get the faintest recording, usually nothing. I've tried everything I can think of but it doesn't work. I can't remember what I've done exactly in the past to get it working. Any ideas? Btw, it works ok with F16 in a different laptop.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:21 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

What version of skype are you using? If you are using 2.2 (beta), you could try updating to the latest release and see if it helps. Since your internal microphone works fine with other programs, may be this will be all that you need (with luck).
Old 20th June 2012, 03:27 PM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

Howdy,

You got to install all the pulse audio utilities and some missing 32 bit libraries if you are running 64 bit Fedora.

Try using ldd to figure out what is missing.
Old 20th June 2012, 05:34 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

Actually with the new skype, that isn't necessary--doing yum install (not even local install) to the downloaded rpm should provide all needed 32 bit libs--it has for me and a few other people on the forums.

Seems like it might be Skype rather than Fedora this time, if the mike is working on all other programs.

There's one old solution, might be completely irrelevant now, but helped me in the past.

Post number 9 in the thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1408959

Edit--I see that in another similar thread, that Ubuntu thread didn't help Zoroid, so I don't hold out much hope for it.

Tags
f16, microphone, skype, volume