Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 21st January 2012, 06:32 PM
yaconsult Offline

windows_7firefox
What's the current state of AMD and NVIDIA proprietary driver support for Fedora?

I've been using an Nvidia GTX 460 with the Nvidia accelerated drivers and have had no driver issues. It's a big improvement in performance between the Nouveau and the proprietary drivers.

My previous card was an AMD 8800 and I often had driver issues back then where special drivers or patches were required to get it working. Has the AMD picture changed since then?

I'm starting to look at new graphics cards and I just want the accelerated drivers to be updated automatically from the usual fedora repositories. So has AMD fedora driver support caught up to Nvidia's?
Old 21st January 2012, 07:19 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome
Re: What's the current state of AMD and NVIDIA proprietary driver support for Fedora?

Have a look at this GUIDE.
Old 21st January 2012, 07:21 PM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: What's the current state of AMD and NVIDIA proprietary driver support for Fedora?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaconsult View Post
I've been using an Nvidia GTX 460 with the Nvidia accelerated drivers and have had no driver issues. It's a big improvement in performance between the Nouveau and the proprietary drivers.

My previous card was an AMD 8800 and I often had driver issues back then where special drivers or patches were required to get it working. Has the AMD picture changed since then?

I'm starting to look at new graphics cards and I just want the accelerated drivers to be updated automatically from the usual fedora repositories. So has AMD fedora driver support caught up to Nvidia's?

Yes it's more broken than ever.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503
Old 21st January 2012, 07:53 PM
yaconsult Offline

windows_7firefox

Thanks, guys! It looks like there hasn't been much change since the last time I tried using the proprietary AMD drivers. I thought there were all these stories a couple of years ago about their opensourcing some stuff to improve the drivers.

I must say that the Nvidia proprietary drivers have been trouble-free for my GTX 460 and keep up-to-date automatically. And nouveau is a very acceptable fallback - so far I've used it when playing with the Xen kernel because the Nvidia driver doesn't work with Xen. I guess for dual-booting fedora 16 and windows 7, I'll stick with Nvidia.

Tags
amd, current, driver, fedora, nvidia, proprietary, state, support