Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th January 2012, 03:32 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

linuxchrome
Question Slow ghostscript performance, how to optimize? [AMD]

Hello everybody.

I write to ask about methods to optimize ghostscript performance under an AMD platform, more precisely, to improve the performance of the utility "ps2pdf" used to pass from PS to PDF (currently the slowest part of the Latex compiling process).

Although my laptop is not brand-new (was, back in Q2 2009), I expect it perform faster on that department, in fact, a couple of years earlier I stumbled with similar performance issues regarding ghostscript (and the then current Fedora), in which even my netbook (older, and slower) performed faster.

Recently I read confirmation to one of AMD's allegations agains Intel: someone proved that Intel compilers deliberately crippled performance of AMD CPUs (which made sense with even the older Atom N270 outperforming it in that particular task), so I have a couple of question regarding this and in relation with ghostscript's performance:

How can I improve ghostscript's performance? I downloaded several versions to compile from source but am mostly in the dark about optimizing compilation flags.

Is there any serious AMD compiler I can use on a daily basis in Fedora and which could be seamlessly integrated in the system? (Perhaps the solution to the previous point if the gcc compiler is part of the conspiracy to cripple AMD processors).

Thanks,
Joe.
Old 24th January 2012, 08:33 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox
Re: Slow ghostscript performance, how to optimize? [AMD]

I was tempted to move this to rants.

p.s compiler flags aren't going to boost it so your wasting your time.
Old 24th January 2012, 07:19 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.pelayo View Post
I write to ask about methods to optimize ghostscript performance under an AMD platform, more precisely, to improve the performance of the utility "ps2pdf" used to pass from PS to PDF (currently the slowest part of the Latex compiling process).
Do you have a PostScript file that I could use for testing ps2pdf on my F16 system, one that takes a long time for you to convert to PDF? I have a single-core AMD cpu (see the specs in my sig), and I haven't noticed the speed of ps2pdf being too bad. For example, it took 26 seconds to convert a 180-page ps file to pdf; that's an acceptable time to me.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 25th January 2012, 01:03 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

I don't use ps2pdf because I don't have a need for Postscript, but gs is very fast in stitching together several megabytes of PDF files that I have.

If you answer Rupert, I too will use the ps2pdf for comparison speed. I have a dual-core AMD-64.
gs has been a godsend for me.

Tags
amd, ghostscript, optimize, performance, slow