Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th January 2012, 04:11 AM
persephone Offline

windows_7chrome
Login Timeout, Root Disabled

How do I extend the time until my session times out and I have to log back in (due to inactivity) ?
I have just installed Fedora 11 on a slow computer, and can't even go through updates because my session times out before dependencies are resolved or whatever other task, I have to keep watching it and touching it otherwise it times out - and resets everything it's been doing.
There is no security concern - no other creatures around - I can't even log in as root (it seems that root is disabled ? Is there any way to re-enable it in Gnome ? Other than changing to runlevel 1).
Old 25th January 2012, 08:11 AM
qualicum Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Login Timeout, Root Disabled

The whole article is at:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap5sec32.html
The section you need is;
Set login time out for the root account. Despite the notice to never, if they are not on the server sign in as root and leave it unattended, administrators still stay on as root or forget to logout after finishing their work and leave their terminals unattended. The answer to solve this problem is to make the bash shell automatically logout after not being used for a period of time. To do that, you must set the special variable of Linux named TMOUT to the time in seconds of no input before logout. Edit your profile file /etc/profile and add the following line somewhere after the line that read HISTFILESIZE= on this file:

TMOUT=7200
...if you remark this "timeout" from your /etc/profile file, then it should not close the session. The way to do that is to put a '#' or hash mark in front of it thus;
# TMOUT=7200
although the number is much lower in your file, this one is equivalent to 7200 seconds, or 120x60sec=2 hours.
To edit /etc/profile, you need to be root, open a terminal window, type su -<enter>
enter your admin password, and then type gedit /etc/profile
If you do not log in as root to do the edit, you will not be able to save any changes to the file.
Alternately, if that time out line is not there, add it in, and make it ...say...
TMOUT=28800
which will give you 8 hours before it closes on you.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:28 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox
Re: Login Timeout, Root Disabled

Moved to EOL (End Of Life) Versions

Tags
disabled, login, root, timeout