Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2012, 12:51 PM
mcojettech737 Offline

linuxfirefox
Hardware Raid 5 Planning Questions

Like usual I have searched for answers to the questions im about to ask. People seem to be throwing around stripe size & chunk size as meaning the same thing, are they?

I will be running F16 x86_64, Ext4 file system With the intel EM64T dual core 3 Ghtz cpu, 4Gigs ram & a sas PCI-e 8 x controller broke out to 4 sata 2 - 300Gig drives. (straight sas cables not crossover).

The machine im setting up is a home based desktop for everyday use (multi purpose), none server; everything from letter writting to games to storing family pictures and i would like to have it dialed in close for best performance.

my choices for chunk (stripe size are): 8,16,32,64,128,256,512 Kbytes or 1 Meg.

so, in your opinion / experience where should I start off with chunk size & block size?

As usual, thanks in advance for your advice & taking the time to read my post.

Last edited by mcojettech737; 27th January 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Tags
hardware, planning, questions, raid

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search