Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2012, 11:09 AM
mikeym Offline

linuxchrome
Clean install of F16 wants yum-complete-transaction to remove most packages

I'm just in the process of doing a fresh install of F16 as my upgrade from F15 to F16 seemed to have left me with a wonky system, but following the install I tried to open Update Software and was told that there were incomplete transactions and I would have to run yum-complete-transaction. However running that wanted to remove nearly all my packages (including yum!) So I looked around and found that I'm supposed to run:

package-cleanup --cleandupes

So I've run this and that's allowing me to run yum update. My question is will this leave me with an unfunctioning system again? And why has it done this?
Old 27th January 2012, 11:49 AM
tsorvoja Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Clean install of F16 wants yum-complete-transaction to remove most packages

Hi,
That is really hard to say. What I would do now before continuing is to backup all important data. You can do it easily with LiveCD and external USB drive. After this you can safely try to update the system. Upgrading between releases is not officially supported option but may work sometimes.

Personally I prefer to create a separate partition for /home which allows me to update OS (e.g. F15 --> F16) pretty easily with clean install without touching my important data.
Old 27th January 2012, 01:32 PM
mikeym Offline

linuxchrome

Hi, thanks for the replay. I think you've misunderstood what I was getting at though. I'm doing a clean install of F16 now after my dodgy attempt at upgrading to F16.

I agree with what you said about a separate home, that's how I normally do installs. And that's how I've partitioned it this time, but at the moment even my home is a fresh install.

After I ran:

package-cleanup --cleandupes

I could run:

yum update

Which updated a lot of packages. Then I ran:

yum-complete-transaction

Because it still wanted me to, and that removed Firefox and another package. Then I ran:

yum update

Again which pulled Firefox back in. I thought that might be it but I'm still having problems with my system; network manager wont start and the nvidia driver is still doing something weird to the splash or something (and showing me the splash from F15). I might need to try the install procedure again.

Last edited by mikeym; 27th January 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 27th January 2012, 01:47 PM
gUrUr2 Offline

linuxfirefox

did you try to relink startup files

Code:

prelink -ua
rm /etc/prelink.cache
/etc/crond.daily/prelink
Old 27th January 2012, 10:36 PM
mikeym Offline

linuxchrome

Um.. no. I honestly don't know what that does. I'm in the process of Re-Re-installing though. As it seems easier to try and get a stable system know than have problems later.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

A reinstall and an immediate update before touching anything seems to have fixed it. The NVidia thing was a separate issue as the proprietary drivers don't have KMS.

Tags
clean, f16, install, packages, remove, yumcompletetransaction