Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2012, 12:18 AM
coffee412 Offline

linuxfirefox
webcamstudio no sound on streaming video

Iam posting this here as I figure this is as good a place as any to post it. This concerns exactly what the title says. Webcamstudio refuses to play sound when streaming video on say blogtv or probably other places (havent tried ustream, I do blogtv). This problem frustrated me to no end as I would not get any error message and nothing appeared to be wrong in any way. Webcam worked fine. But try and stream a video file on blogtv and - no sound.

Now, I have not proved this yet but I do believe this is the actual problem in hand:

Using an onboard sound chip either the driver for it or the actual chip is missing some feature that provides for streaming sound in video. Kinda a general theory here. But I do remember when webcamstudio did work I was using a pci sound card. Then I upgraded my system and used the onboard sound.

Specifics of my motherboard: Asus M4A88T-M LE

Onboard chip specs:

Quote:
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8445
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at f9ff4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
Well, So to recap I think some capibilities in either the driver or the chip are missing. Using an actual plugin sound card (better quality) will have the capibilities and then things will be back to working.

Well, Thats my theory. If anyone would like to add to this your more than welcome.

coffee
Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)

Tags
sound, streaming, video, webcamstudio